Laboratory Assistant, Peace Arch Hospital - Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) - White Rock, BC
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services
White Rock, BC
You are a Laboratory Assistant with exceptional interpersonal skills to communicate with clients and in team environments. Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) is hiring laboratory assistants to join their team at Peach Arch Hospital! What you'll do
What you bring
- Collect blood and other specimens and label with relevant information according to Fraser Health policies. This includes sweat collections, breath collections, capillary gases, venous and capillary blood
samples, and other specimens as required. Assist in the collection of fine needle aspirations by providing clerical support.
- Prepare specimen for analysis by centrifuging, aliquoting, and distributing specimens by priority including Microbiology, Pathology and Cytology specimens and assisting with gross exams. Stain, mount, and label slides.
- Perform clerical duties as required including computer data entry for patient information and tests. Communicate test results to designated parties and handle inquiries from other health team members.
- Clean, operate and maintain equipment such as temperature checks on fridges, incubators, autoclaves and water bath. Inform appropriate staff of problems with equipment as per established
- Prepare reagents, media, and specimen collection material and distribute as required. Receive, store and ship specimens and other materials. Prepare, handle, and transport specimens for preanalytical
and post-analytical storage, including discarding specimens as per accepted protocols.
- Load specimens for analysis on barcode enhanced automated and semi-automated equipment only.
- Grade 12, successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program plus one year's recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will have the ability to:
What we bring
- Type 25 wpm.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Demonstrate awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission's 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (until December 31 st , 2023)
15521 Russell Avenue, White Rock, V4B 2R4 Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work:
Rotating days and evenings, 0600 to 1600 Requisition #
145829E As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021. What we do
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
PLMS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and PLMS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 31, 2023
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.