Vancouver, BC Term:
Permanent Full time
Global Relay is the leading provider of cloud-based electronic message archiving, supervision, and eDiscovery solutions for the global financial sector, delivering services to 20,000 customers in 90 countries, including 22 of the world’s top 25 banks. Global Relay Archive securely captures and preserves email, instant messaging, mobile messaging, Bloomberg ® ®, Thomson Reuters, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and more — with Blackberry, iPhone, iPad, Android, Outlook and Web access.
Global Relay is headquartered in Vancouver's Gastown, with offices in New York, Chicago, Raleigh, Halifax, London, and Singapore. We strive to be a top employer and have been recognized with numerous awards, including Canada’s 50 Best Small and Medium Employers (2014-2015), Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2014), Ingenious Award (2014), Top 10 Best Companies to Work for in BC (2011-2012), Canada’s Top 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2013), Canada’s Best Managed Companies (2013-2014), and Deloitte's list of the 50 fastest-growing companies in Canada (2011-2014).
With over 370 employees, Global Relay is growing rapidly and looking for new talent. Global Relay provides fantastic opportunities to individuals with passion in business and technology. For those with international business aspirations, Global Relay offers invaluable exposure to doing business with some of the most influential companies in the world. Global Relay is also ideal for people who want to create innovative technologies using massively scalable "big data" architecture and a strong focus on mobile.
Global Relay is 100% privately held and employee controlled. We develop, own and operate every aspect of our services, with no reliance on outsourcing or third-party subcontractors. We are not venture capital dependent, making us a truly Canadian organization.
Apply today – we have five floors of great open space offices with a fast-paced vibe, lots of amenities, a roof top deck & BBQ, and an in-house chef, all located in the heart of Gastown near Waterfront Station. To learn more about our culture and community involvement, please visit ( www.globalrelay.com
). The Role:
As a Junior Java Developer at Global Relay, you will get the opportunity to learn valuable development skills using cutting edge technologies from highly skilled and professional peers. You will also be given the opportunity to contribute to the core technology and products. This is an opportunity to work alongside some of the best Java developers in Vancouver and apply your craft in an environment that encourages creative thinking and autonomy. Our software is developed by small, focused agile teams of developers and QA. We encourage our developers to think beyond a single component to build complete system solutions. Challenge yourself by learning new technologies, and apply your skills across our different projects and application domains. If you are committed to code that is clean, well-tested, well-reviewed, performant and secure then you’ll fit in around here.
In this position we are looking for some sound understanding of core Java technology and software development methodologies. Technologies that we work with on a daily basis include:
- NoSQL DBs (Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase, Zookeeper)
- In Memory Data Grids (Terracotta)
- Serialization libraries (Thrift, Protocol Buffers)
- Large scale data processing (Hadoop)
- Dependency injection frameworks (Guice, Spring)
- CQRS frameworks (Axon)
- Text search engines (Lucene, ElasticSearch)
Technical Skills Requirements:
- Work as part of an agile development team to write Java code for enterprise services
- Write unit and integration tests for your Java code
- Collaborate with QA in development of test cases for Java code
- Document code and document detail designs
- Collaborate with product owners on user story generation and refinement
- Participate in knowledge sharing activities with colleagues
- Recent graduate from a Computer Science or related field with Co-Op experience or up to 3 years work experience
- Course work or work experience with Java
- Experience with any of the following is an asset:
- agile development methodologies
- test driven development
- continuous integration systems
- dependency injection containers
- network protocols such as HTTP, TLS, TCP
- service oriented architecture
- web services technology such as REST, JSON, or Thrift
- multi-threaded programming
- design patterns
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your cover letter, resume and transcript in one PDF document
No phone calls please; applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.