Position Summary JANITOR (FLOAT) Up to 2 positions Job ID: 3549 REGULAR FULL-TIME Location: VANCOUVER ISLAND, BC To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada. THE ORGANIZATION
- Join one of BC's Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people. Our mission
is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they've helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they're here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees' current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status ** JANITOR (FLOAT) POSITION SUMMARY
As a member of the property management team, the incumbent is responsible for performing cleaning duties within assigned buildings including vacant dwellings. The incumbent cleans floors, carpets (except on moveouts), walls, furniture, smoke alarms and dusts and sweeps areas; Moves Commission and tenant furniture effects within a development; Maintains cleanliness of assigned outside areas and picks up litter and removes garbage; Clears snow from doorways and walkways when required; Operates cleaning janitorial equipment and uses associated tools and cleaning materials; Mops, washes, waxes and polishes floors and vacuums carpets; Washes windows inside and performs external window washing using a tucker pole; Removes dry strippable wallpaper from portions of rooms, using steam stripper if required; Changes light bulbs in buildings and in unlit areas where no Caretaker is assigned or the Caretaker is off duty. CANDIDATE PROFILE The successful candidate will have the following: EDUCATION:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Secondary school graduation preferably supplemented by a vocational school course in janitorial services AND
- A minimum of one year directly related janitorial experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Good knowledge of janitorial cleaning methods and procedures
- Ability to operate various cleaning machinery, equipment & tools
- Good physical health and condition
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Sound knowledge of janitorial cleaning materials
- Good interpersonal skills
- A valid BC Driver's License is required
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license.