INS CR 21R - Metal Shop Instructor
Instructor (Corrections) R21
Kamloops, BC V2H 1B7 CA (Primary)
$63,446.31 - $72,142.65 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Public Safety & Sol General
Ministry Branch / Division
Corrections Adult Custody Division
Job Summary Metal Shop Instructor
Instructor (Corrections) R21
Please note this is an ongoing posting without a scheduled close date. The posting close date will be added to the posting a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the posting close date. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .A great opportunity to take the next step in your career
Adult Custody is one of two divisions of the Corrections Branch and is responsible for the care of approximately 2900 male and female inmates. Adult Custody provides custodial supervision for adults sentenced to incarceration and those remanded to custody. It provides offender programs and additional services which balance risks and needs; ensures linkage with Community Corrections based on common core programming and integrated case management; communicates with stakeholders and participates as a pro-active partner in the criminal justice system.
The purpose of this position is to provide technical trades based instruction to inmates in a correctional centre ensuring safety, care, security and custody of inmates during instructional sessions. Programs taught can include carpentry and metal fabrication and inmates will be able to log hours of instruction towards apprenticeship programs once released as befitting Red Seal certified instructor led programs.
We offer extensive training, growth and development opportunities; a competitive salary and benefits package; a pension plan that ranks among the best; and offer a balance between work and life commitments and much more .We are committed to continuing to be an employer of choice and providing a professional environment where ideas work.For more information about BC Corrections and our Correctional Centres please go to our BC Corrections Career Opportunity Page .
Kamloops is surrounded by over one hundred lakes as well as the North and South Thompson rivers. Water-based activities are very popular, such as fishing, kayaking, canoeing, rafting, tubing, skiing, snowmobiling, and ice-fishing. Kamloops has a very strong First Nations culture.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer .
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Dan.Carnovale@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
- Red Seal Trade Certification for welding
- Five years' experience working as a journeyperson in the field of welding
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver's License
- Valid Occupational First Aid (OFA 1) as endorsed by WorkSafe BC
- Successful completion of the Correctional Officer Physical Abilities Test (COPAT)
- Successful completion of the REACT test
- Successful completion of enhanced security screening
- Successful completion of medical assessment
- Two years' experience as a Correctional Officer or equivalent
- Welding Instructor Certification - Instructor certification to train and certify adult learners
- Experience in instructing adult learners and organizing the work of others
- Training in the areas of human behaviour and leadership techniques.
- Experience in an industrial or vocational setting
- Experience with computer and communication technology
- WHMIS certified
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.In addition, there is a requirement to successfully complete the following:
- Required to lift tools, and materials weighing up to 20 kg.
- Noise of saws, sanders, planers, pressure washers, and other equipment relevant to the program being taught for 9 -10 hours per day; PPEs are mandated and provided.
- Required to work outside of the facility.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover Letter: NO
- Correctional Officer Physical Abilities Test (COPAT)
- REACT Test (NOTE: there is a $41.00 US fee associated with this test which is the responsibility of the applicant. Your result is valid for 12-months.)
- Obtain Valid Occupational First Aid (OFA 1) as endorsed by WorkSafe BC
- Medical Assessment
- A Criminal Record Review Act Check (CRRA) and Enhanced Security Screening will be required
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Maintenance and Technicians