Position Title Indigenous (FNMI) Resource Student Assistant Posting Number 00885SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level I Salary Range $14.89/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/08/2020 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
The position is located at the Coquitlam/New Westminster campus but this position may require you to temporarily work remotely to comply with the current Covid-19 social distancing guidelines.
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2020: September 8, 2020 - December 16, 2020
2. Winter 2021: January 4, 2021 - April 22, 2021
3. Summer 2021: May 10, 2021 - August 19, 2021
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Role Responsibilities
- Assist students to access/use resources in the Indigenous Resource Centre; ensure materials are maintained, re-filed, and available for use to students.
- Provide peer support services through listening to student concerns & providing advice regarding College procedures (i.e. Registration, Late Registration, Text Book Purchases, and other available services.)
- Refer Indigenous ( FNMI ) students to appropriate services within the College (i.e., Academic Advisors, Payroll & Accounting Office, Financial Aid Office, Counselling Services, Library Services, etc.)
- Refer Indigenous ( FNMI ) students to culturally appropriate, external community services.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Must be a "Returning Student", who has completed at least one previous semester at Douglas College.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- A minimum of 2.0 GPA in your previous semester. Others may be considered.
- There are positions at both the New Westminster and Coquitlam campuses.
- Preference will be given to First Nations, Metis and Inuit applicants
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 07/27/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2020
2. Winter 2021
3. Summer 2021
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/6254