ICU Physicians Secretary
Children's & Women's Health Centre, VancouverWhat you'll do
What you bring
- Transcribes and assembles a variety of material such as articles for publication, teaching materials, schedules/rosters, reports, correspondence and statistics.
- Performs secretarial duties such as screening incoming materials, prioritizing items for the attention of the Division Head or physician, responding to inquiries by drafting correspondence or referring to the appropriate area. Composes routine correspondence and answers routine inquiries in the absence of the physicians.
- Prepares agenda and background information for committee meetings; attends a variety of meetings (e.g. ICU Management, staff meetings) to record proceedings, prepares and transcribes minutes/reports and agendas, distributes and takes follow-up action as required.
- Types confidential legal, medical reports and coroner reports and arranges meetings as required.
- Schedules appointments and meetings for physicians and determines urgency of requests in order to respond to scheduling requirements.
- Collects and collates data, inputs into computer and organizes and sends out necessary reports. Also accesses databases for information as required by the physicians for reports and papers.
- Creates, maintains and modifies spreadsheets using microcomputer and database software.
- Coordinates workflow of clerical area by establishing work schedules and prioritizing and distributing workload.
- Assists the physicians with research studies by compiling statistics, typing bibliographies, formatting reports and sending out requests for article reprints.
- Answers and screens telephone calls, refers calls and/or takes messages. Greets visitors, parents/patients, etc. Redirects visitors and inquiries as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
What's in it for you
- Ability to keyboard at 60 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type: Casual)
Hours of work: As per rotation
Reference number: 96967What we do
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) bcwomens.ca is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre program is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.