Position Title Human Resources Advisor Posting Number 01860SA Location Hybrid / New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level A - Pay Band 8 Salary Range - Position Type Administration - Temporary Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Administration Start Date 06/26/2023 End Date 08/30/2024 Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift 8:30 - 4:30 Work Arrangements
This temporary full-time position is available effective late June 2023.
Occasional travel will be required between Douglas College locations. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
If you truly enjoy creating and supporting a workplace in which people are encouraged to do great work, then Douglas College invites you to join our Human Resources team as a Human Resources Advisor. As a business partner and first point of contact to an assigned client group, the Human Resources Advisor acts with considerable independence, discretion, judgment and initiative in providing timely and accurate information and advice on labour relations, performance management, workforce planning, recruitment and selection as well as HR policies and procedures.Responsibilities
Under the general guidance of the HR Manager, Advisory Services, the Human Resources Advisor is accountable for the following:Strategic Client Partnerships
• Developing proactive business partnerships to assist clients in achieving their departmental goals and objectives. This includes partnering with clients to find unique solutions to business problems;
• Working with administrators on effective people management practices, including communication approaches and strategies to resolving difficult issues;
• Providing advice with respect to College policies, procedures and processes.Workforce Planning
• Consulting with administrators and supervisors regarding workforce planning; developing and implementing strategies to meet long-term and short-term objectives;
• Providing advice and support to administrators on faculty workload planning, processes and related collective agreement interpretation;
• Providing administrators with advice and support on the development and maintenance of job descriptions;
• Supporting job evaluation processes and liaising with the Compensation Specialist, as appropriate.Labour Relations
• Providing advice to administrators regarding collective agreement interpretation and labour relations issues. Fosters a positive labour relations environment by researching issues and working with administrators, employees, union representatives and others in Human Resources in order to achieve a successful outcome;
• Liaising with the Labour Relations Advisor regarding grievances and other matters;
• Participates in grievance meetings, as required;
• Leads presentations on a variety of topics including collective agreement interpretations.Performance Management & Conduct
• Supporting the development and implementation of performance management tools and actively participates in related training initiatives;
• Coaching administrators, supervisors and employees on strategies for resolving complex workplace, performance or interpersonal issues and making recommendations on appropriate courses of action;
• Providing advice and support to administrators with respect to investigation processes. Participates in related meetings, as required.Recruitment & Selection
• Supports Administrators in the recruitment and selection of excluded positions; may participate in selection panels;
• Providing guidance and training to Selection Committees on staffing options, recruitment processes, advertising strategies and/or innovative techniques to attract qualified candidates in a competitive marketplace.Other
• Prepares a variety of confidential documentation including letters of appointment, performance letters, disciplinary letters and other non-standard correspondence;
• Actively participates in departmental and team planning processes and carries out project work as assigned;
• Represents the department on committees as assigned;
• Performs other related duties as requested.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with a focus in Human Resources Management or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. A CPHR designation is an asset;
• A minimum of four (4) years of generalist experience in Human Resources in a complex, multi-union, public sector environment, including experience in collective agreement interpretation, grievance processes, investigations, performance management, recruitment/selection and benefit administration;
• Experience in identifying needs, planning, providing advice and giving guidance on a variety of initiatives that support strategic directions;
• Experience providing sound professional advice for all aspects of human resources to all levels of the organization.
• Strong commitment to excellence in customer service;
• Respectful and collaborative orientation in interactions with others, including union representatives;
• Strong critical thinking skills including the ability to ask relevant questions, analyze the information provided and make reasonable conclusions;
• Effective planning and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize, multi-task and maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment;
• Demonstrated ability to model professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours, including dealing effectively with conflicting expectations and resistance;
• Demonstrated flexible approach when problem-solving to achieve client-focused solutions;
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Human Resources Information Systems, including creating and maintaining spreadsheets and databases;
• Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
• Effective delivery of presentations to large and small groups.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 05/10/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/10765