Under the direction of the Coding Coordinator and the Health Information Management Regional Manager, Transcription, Coding and Analytics and in accordance with established policies and processes and vision and values of the organization, the Coding Specialist performs technical functions such as coding, abstracting, and retrieval of computerized data. Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited program in Health Records Administration/Health Information Management.
- Certified by the Canadian College of Health Information Management and eligible for active membership with the Canadian Health information Management Association.
- Knowledge of BC protection of privacy and freedom of information legislation, patient's rights to confidentiality and legal requirements for the production of records.
- Knowledge of health information systems and database management, statistical calculations, and interpretation of reports from administrative and clinical databases.
- One year's recent related experience in a HIMS department of an acute care health care facility or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Skills and Abilities:
Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using, oral written and computer communication means. Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict.
Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team, supervises responsibilities of others, and collaborates across disciplines.
Leadership: Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of NH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of abstracting software and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
View Prince George Community