Reporting to the respective HSDA Regional Manager, Records Management, ROI & Registration Services, the HIM Advisor is an integral member of both the regional Health Information Management team and the local health service delivery team. The HIM Advisor provides leadership to their community(ies) on appropriate collection, access and use of health information through the development and application of health information standards in records management, release of information and registration utilizing technology available for distance communications as well as face to face visits when appropriate. They support and participate in the evaluation of adherence to HIM standards. The HIM Advisor assists in the development, testing, implementation support, maintenance and enhancement of relevant health information systems/applications and provides support and training services for a variety of internal and external users. The HIM Advisor facilitates the consequential organizational changes created by the implementation and ongoing use health information systems, policies and procedures.
- Graduation from a recognized Health Information Management program.
- Certified by the Canadian College of Health Information Management and eligible for active membership with the Canadian Health Information Management Association
- Knowledge of protection of privacy and freedom of information legislation, patient's rights to confidentiality and legal requirements for the production of records.
- Knowledge of health information systems and database management, statistical calculations, and interpretation of reports from administrative and clinical databases.
- One year's recent related experience in a HIMS department of an acute care health care facility or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.