REPORTS TO: Site Superintendent
TERMS: Full Time
Our Equipment Operators are responsible for competently operating heavy mobile equipment that may include but not limited to Excavators, Graders, Loaders, Dozers, Haul trucks and or Packers. This statement is of a general nature and operators are to only operate equipment that they have been assessed for and approved to operate. Heavy Equipment Operators
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS:
Operator responsibilities vary depending on the level of experience and qualifications all operators are expected to comply with the following:
- Represent Sun Ridge Contracting in a positive manner when working with staff, clients, sub contractors and the community.
- Attend and participate in daily safety meetings.
- Understand and comply with all company and client safety policies, procedures and requirements.
- Understands and uses proper radio protocols and location reporting.
- Report all incidents, injuries or significant events to supervisor.
- Take corrective action to mitigate immediate hazards, where safe to do so.
- Intervene on any unsafe act in a positive way to ensure the safety of all people on site.
- Participate in incident investigations as required.
- Have a good idea of your surroundings on where equipment and personal are in your working zone.
- Follow all traffic management plans (i.e. signage).
- Wear and participate in the ongoing training of the required PPE for the position.
- Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation and ensures the accurate completion of Timecards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- To only operate equipment or perform tasks that you are signed off and deemed competent on. Unless under the direct supervision of a mentor in line with company and client policy.
- Heavy equipment operators will follow all safety precautions at all times. This includes wearing protective gear and maintaining active communication with all other construction crew members.
- Perform pre-operational checks and regularly cleans and report to the supervisor any concerns regarding safe operation of, or damage to the equipment.
- Ensure heavy equipment is safely and securely stored.
- Operates heavy equipment in compliance with the company’s policies and procedures while following industry’s best practice.
- Operate heavy equipment to load, transport, move spread and lay materials at a construction site, using all required attachments.
- Clean, lubricate fuel and perform minor maintenance on all equipment, as scheduled and required.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
COMPETENT OPERATORS WILL DEMONSTRATE:
- Demonstrate the correct start-up procedure including break and steering checks.
- Recognizing potential machine hazards (e.g., blind spots, crush hazard)
- Recognizing potential site hazards (e.g., equipment traffic, pedestrian traffic, slop instability).
- Recognizing potential environmental hazards (e.g., fuel/oil spills or leaks).
- Demonstrate the ability to steer/break equipment.
- Demonstrating ability to control all functions of equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to follow all hands signals and directions for operation of vehicle.
- Demonstrated leadership in safety is essential in this role.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming, maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting, keeps emotions under control, remains open to other ideas and tries new things. Accomplishes goals in a team environment. Accountability and dependability.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens, and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings. Communications with the team effectively ensuring that details of the project are not overlooked.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively, able to interpret written information with attention to detail.
- Planning/Organization – Prioritize work activities, uses time efficiently. Has a sense of urgency to meet deadlines when working alone or as a part of a team.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, treats other with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows through on commitments. Commitment to ethics and integrity. Accountability and dependability. High energy and ability to manage stress.
- Out of town travel may be required.
- Overtime as required.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment is required.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
ABILITIES: WORKING CONDITIONS: DISCLAIMER:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Construction, Mining and Trades