Vancouver Island University invites applications for the permanent, full-time position, Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technician.
- A valuable total compensation package, including a comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Competitive compensation package
- Supported professional development opportunities
- Wellness services and opportunities that support the whole person
- A paid break at the end of December
- A professional environment where people are valued
- Be the envy of the rest of the country as you enjoy the pace and quality of life on Vancouver Island
The HVAC Technician Job Duties:
- Provide scheduled preventative maintenance of building systems equipment and facilities.
- Oversee other Facilities Services and Campus Development
- Ensure good working relations with provincial inspectors, utilities and regulators.
- Provide maintenance and repair services to building systems equipment and facilities.
- Respond to emergency requests for the repair of building systems equipment and facilities.
- Assist in the renovation/alteration to building systems equipment and facilities.
- Maintain food services equipment.
- Maintain building control system including scheduling and programming.
- Assist in the operation of energy management program.
- Review and advise on the feasibility of renovations/alterations and new construction by reviewing drawings and specifications.
- Provide project coordination and quality control.
- Assist the Facilities Services and Campus Development Department in providing proactive, client-based service to the Vancouver Island University community.
- Meet with and supervise service providers (consultants and contractors).
- Estimate labour and material for minor projects.
- Review existing planned maintenance programs and frequencies for effectiveness and propose changes. Respond to emergencies and after-hours requests (part of emergency response team and snow/ice removal).
- Trades Qualification (BC) in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, Gas Fitter (Class B) complete with electrical endorsement.
- Technical Diploma (BCIT's Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, HVAC and R).
- Five to seven years recent experience in a complex, public institution including supervisory experience. Thorough knowledge of all practices and procedures of the trades including applicable building codes and regulations.
- Safe and efficient use of all tools and equipment associated with the trade and familiarity with common safety practices.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office, Direct Digital Controls (DDC) and Computer Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills including client services and good written and oral communication.
- Proven analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Experience in reviewing and interpreting commercial building and equipment drawings and specifications.
Apply online by September 28, 2016 at https://www2.viu.ca/HumanResources/postings/posting_new.asp?comp_no=16-3091&btn_ind=Y
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Vancouver Island University embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.
Posted: September 22, 2016
Closes:November 21, 2016