Closing Date: February 17, 2023 Job Summary:
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, the Health & Safety Coordinator will support the summer drill program at the Schaft Creek project located in Northwestern British Columbia. This role is responsible for providing support on the development, implementation, and management of corporate Health and Safety programs to ensure operational compliance to safety standards and risk mitigation in order to achieve the objective of "everyone going home, safe and healthy everyday".
The Heath & Safety Coordinator is responsible for managing and documenting safety records, promoting a safety focused culture, and assisting with coordinating safety training of contractors and staff on the project.
During the planning and lead up to the drill program the role will be remote or office-based. During the execution of the drill program this position will work on a rotational basis in a remote camp.Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Promote the company's commitment to health and safety, sustainability, the environment, contributing to meeting Teck's standards in the region.
- Under the general direction of the Senior Geologist, draft and document project specific policies and procedures concerning Health and Safety and assist in their onsite implementation.
- Contribute to the safe, productive, and cost-effective delivery of the 2023 Schaft Creek drill program through effective and timely:
- Planning and coordination of project specific health and safety programs and initiatives;
- Support for the project team in effectively applying the principles of Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment, and Risk Mitigation;
- Liaise with staff and contractors to ensure all Health & Safety procedures and policies are adhered to;
- Document critical workplace incidents and investigations ensuring that records are up to date and communicated to the appropriate stakeholders;
- Utilize SMART tools and techniques; proactively identify community issues/opportunities and seek the involvement of community specialist as appropriate;
- Contribute to a culture of teamwork between all project stakeholders, encourage cooperation and open communication; and
- Support additional project initiatives, leveraging the successful candidate's skills and experiences.
The above accountabilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.Qualifications:
- Certificate or Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and/or completion of WHIMIS, Aerial Lifts, Fall Arrest, H2S, TDG, Blood borne Pathogens, Confined Spaces, Forklift Safety, PPE.
- At least 3 or more years of experience in Health and Safety within a mining or related industry.
- Ability to continuously seek opportunities to recognize Health, Safety, and Environmental hazards and work to manage associated risks in the workplace.
- Ability to recognize potential hazards and risks associated with different job/tasks, and work environments.
- Ability to design and introduce health and safety programs and documents including standard operating procedures to employees and contractors.
- Ability to provide training and support to exploration staff and contractors on health and safety initiatives.
- Ability to make courageous decisions to stop or defer work if health and safety conditions are deemed unsatisfactory.
- Ability to proactively resolve or seek support as appropriate to resolve safety hazards and issues.
- Ability to consistently follow Teck's Health and Safety policies and practices and demonstrate safety leadership to others.
- Ability to design, implement, participate in, and review/audit processes to identify gaps in hazard controls and mitigations related to high-risk activities.
- Ability to report lead and lag indicators of health and safety activities/conditions/incidents using appropriate corporate systems and tools.
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate management review processes.
- Able to understand and utilize Teck's SMART community relations tools and techniques.
- Eligibility to work in Canada is required.
- Able to work a rotation schedule and live onsite in a remote camp environment.
- Fluent spoken and written English language skills required.
- Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Valid Occupational First Aid - Level 1 certificate with Transportation Endorsement.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. #LI-DF1 Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Sustainability, Safety, Medical, Mining, Energy, Service, Healthcare
Construction, Mining and Trades