Closing Date: August 15, 2022
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, Exploration, the Health & Safety Coordinator is responsible for providing support and oversight on the implementation and management of Red Dog Operation's-based Exploration H&S programs to ensure operational compliance to occupational health and safety standards, and risk mitigation in order to promote a safety focused culture.
The Health and Safety Coordinator Ensures that:
- Exploration staff have the vital understanding, training, and tools to complete projects safely and fulfill their designated H&S responsibilities
- Project leaders and team management are provided with support to meet their H&S accountabilities through guidance, advice and verification processes
- Project activities are conducted in alignment with expectations of Teck Resources Limited, Teck Exploration & Geosciences, Red Dog Operations and Federal & State legal requirements
- There is sufficient oversight of, and support to, site contractors to ensure that their activities can be conducted safely and effectively
- At our Red Dog Operations Exploration Site, the working conditions include semi-permanent tents as shared accommodation with dividers to isolate each living section and electrical heaters.
Catering and internet are all provided. Employees have access to a gym located at the main camp. Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader and demonstrate a strong record of leadership in health, safety and sustainability. Ensure activities are consistent with Teck's policies and management systems, as guided by the Charter of Corporate Responsibility, the Code of Sustainable Conduct and the Health and Safety Policy.
- Proactively engage and provide leadership for the exploration team to drive continuous improvement of the H&S management system.
- Understands the principles of Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation and more specifically:
- Reviews existing processes and recommends changes as the need arises.
- Continuously seeks opportunities to recognize health, safety and environmental hazards and works to manage associated risks in the workplace.
- Develops and reviews Safe Work Procedures and contractor occupational health & safety documents for the broad scope of exploration activities undertaken by Teck Exploration at Red Dog Mine.
- Completes inspections & audits of worksites and equipment.
- Is responsible for the implementation and execution of Critical Control Verification processes
- Supports the Project Leads in implementing projects through the development of Risk Assessments, Inductions and Emergency Response Plans.
- Coordinates and maintains relevant training for the project exploration team including conducting routine 'needs assessments' to determine appropriate training.
- Understands and embraces Teck's Courageous Safety Leadership Culture;
- Continuously seeks opportunities to recognize health and safety hazards and works to manage associated risks in the workplace
- Consistently follows Teck's health & safety policies and practice and demonstrates safety leadership to others
- Takes courageous decisions to stop or defer work if health and safety conditions are deemed unsatisfactory
- At least 3 or more years of experience in health & safety for mineral exploration, mining or related industry;
- Certificate or Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and/or completion of WHMIS, Aerial Lifts , Fall Arrest, , TDG, , Confined Spaces, Forklift Safety, and PPE would be an asset (delete those that are not applicable to AAEP exposures)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as effective interpersonal and problem solving abilities
- Outstanding ability to communicate and collaborate with individuals from a variety of backgrounds, roles, and seniority
- Understanding of health and safety best practices in exploration and the resource sector and the principles of Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Ability to conduct/facilitate high level assessments of health & safety risks across projects, regional and international jurisdictions in order to identify potential hazards and risks associated with projects equipment physical environments stages of exploration
- Ability to make courageous decisions to stop or defer work if health and safety conditions are deemed unsatisfactory
- Experience with Microsoft Office software and document management.
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Sustainability, CSR, Social Media, Mining, Energy, Management, Marketing
Construction, Mining and Trades