Reporting to the Director of Nursing, the Head Nurse is guided by the Vision and Values of Northern Health, BCCNP Standards of Practice and Codes of Ethics. Is responsible for providing leadership in the provision of clinical expertise of all staff in the Operation Room and Sterile Processing Unit. Identifies, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care required to assist patients in meeting their physical, social and psychological needs in accordance with established NH and PRRH policies and procedures. Qualifications
- Registration with BC College of Nursing Professionals as a practicing RN registrant.
- Minimum of five (5) years recent experience in Operating Room/Surgical Services where nursing skills and theoretical knowledge have been applied and teaching/management skills have been utilized, including a minimum of two (2) years experience in a supervisory capacity.
- A Peri-Operative Certificate and current BCLS Level C certification.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.Skills and Abilities:
- Clinical competence congruent with the ability to manage surgical, recovery and endoscopy care needs.
- Ability to deal with conflict and intervene in crises or difficult situations.
- Ability to ensure compliance with established standards in the Surgical Suite environment.
- Ability to identify learning needs, obtain appropriate resources and teach team members.
- Ability to lead and/or work as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills, prioritize and organize patient care and resources.
- Ability to act as a professional role model and advocate for staff.
- Ability to supervise and evaluate the work of staff, including identification of performance issues, accurate and timely reporting to the Director of Care, and written performance reviews.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of internal and external contacts; including coworkers, physicians, community agency representatives, patients and families.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
View Prince Rupert Community