Menno Place is one of BC's largest campuses-of-care ranging from independent living to complex care for 700 senior residents. Founded in 1953 Menno Place has the privilege of serving the physical, emotional, spiritual and relational needs of residents, families and staff alike. Under the direction of the Manager of Care, The HCA assists residents with activities of daily living, including personal, physical, social and recreational needs.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS:
1. Provides personal care to the residents such as bathing, dressing, care of skin, nails, hair and oral hygiene; assists with toilet needs.
2. Assists and/or feeds residents, distributes meal trays and nourishments.
3. Reports changes of residents’ appetite and food preference to team leader.
4. Transfers and positions patients in accordance with established transfer procedures, utilizing mechanical aids such as wheelchairs and lifts to ensure maximum comfort.
5. Transports residents in facility.
6. Assists with ambulation of residents.
7. Makes residents’ beds, changes soiled linen and residents’ personal clothing.
8. Assists and encourages residents to participate in social and recreational activities.
9. Observes and reports any changes in residents’ condition, such as mobility, temperature, appetite, skin colour and general condition to the person in charge.
10. Performs nursing procedures under direction such as administering suppositories, obtaining specimens such as urine and recording input and output.
11. Reports tasks performed on residents’ charts.
12. Reports malfunctioning equipment to the person in charge.
Education, Training and Experience
§ Graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant Program and proof of BC Care Aide Registration
Skills and Abilities
§ Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
§ Ability to deal with others effectively.
§ Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
§ Ability to organize work.
§ Ability to operate related equipment.
Job Type: CASUAL
Due to the directive from the Ministry of Health, at this time Health Care Assistants are allowed to work at one long-term-care site only.
#39 - BrainStation - Take Risks, Learn More & Stress Less