is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
•We value our people and our reputation
•We are locally dedicated with international scale
•We are future focused and challenge the status quo
•We foster collaboration in everything we do
•We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable Vancouver, BC
WSP is currently seeking a Geotechnical Technician to join our Environment team, located at our Vancouver, BC office. Reporting to the Director, Geotechnical this position will be working with a team of specialists to conduct geotechnical investigations, assist in preparing proposals and reports, and conduct geotechnical construction review throughout the Lower Mainland.
Why choose WSP?
• A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
• Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
• Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new thing;
• A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you can expect to do here:
• You will promote strong workplace health and safety practices
• You will carry out and coordinate field reviews of construction projects with geotechnical and earthworks aspects , including, but not limited to:
• subgrade preparation for foundations;
• soil compaction testing;
• deep foundation installation (piles , caissons);
• tieback and seismic anchors;
• excavations, footings and shoring.
• You will be conducting field investigations by test pitting and drilling;
• You will carry out Laboratory testing of soils in accordance with ASTM and company standards
• You will be involved in management of field data, testing sheets, drawing markups, and geotechnical testing reports
• Work with and provide support to other members of the field technician group in assisting with other field and office activities as required
• You will assist in preparation of proposals and geotechnical reports; and
• You will always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites and take WSP's Life Saving rules to heart and;
• You can also expect other duties as assigned. Those duties may include assisting with laboratory soils analyses, and execution of compaction and concrete testing as per drawing and specification.
What you'll bring to WSP:
• Civil Engineering technology diploma, preferably with a focus on Geotechnical Engineering;
• Registration as an AScT, or a GradTech with eligibility for registration as an AScT, with ASTTBC;
• Minimum 5 years of geotechnical field experience in field investigations, soil testing, subgrade evaluation, and foundation preparation;
• Knowledge of drilling, soil sampling and test pitting procedures;
• Proficiency in ACAD is considered an asset;
• Must be mobile and willing to work on a combination of field and office work, as travel will be required;
• Excellent computer skills, proficiency with common industry software is required;
• Flexible, well organized, interested in technical and personal advancement, able to carry out assignments with minimal supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively in English with engineers, contractors, and clients verbally and in writing, and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY .
WSP Canada Inc.
Construction, Mining and Trades Science