is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 55,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 9,800+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We are among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
•We value our people and our reputation
•We are locally dedicated with international scale
•We are future focused and challenge the status quo
•We foster collaboration in everything we do
•We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable VANCOUVER, CALGARY, EDMONTON, SASKATOON
WSP are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector, made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. With Golder now part of our WSP team, we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change. #GlobalMining
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
We have an opportunity for a Geotechnical Tailings Engineer to join our Mine Waste team on a full-time basis in Sudbury or Mississauga. An overview of your role will include:
• Manage a wide variety of tailings or water embankment dams and waste rock spoils projects, including field investigation; laboratory testing and interpretation; design and construction; geotechnical analysis; and dam safety inspections and reviews
• Scope, direct, and review geotechnical analyses with a focus on soil mechanics, including stability, seepage, and thermal modelling; tailings deposition modeling; and run out analyses for mine waste or water embankment dams and waste rock spoils
• Manage medium to large projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver high quality reports on time and within budget under the direction of senior engineers
• Maintain existing client relationships and develop new business opportunities
• Complete technical proposals and design work packages in response to client needs, under the direction of senior engineers
• Mentor and effectively delegate work to junior engineers
• Participate in and promote a safety-first culture You will have a background in:
• 5 to 15 years of relevant (post-degree) experience working in a consulting engineering or mining industry environment
• Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Geological Engineering, Master's Degree preferred
• Currently registered as a Professional Engineer in a Canadian province or territory
• Strong technical writing, interpersonal communication, and emotional intelligence
• Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with clients and colleagues
• Be able to work in and/or lead diverse teams
• Strong, client-focused project management skills
• Sound knowledge in soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering
• Ability to think critically and problem solve
• Ability to effectively delegate work and lead small project teams
• French or Spanish language skills (verbal and written) would be an asset
• Commitment to safe work practices for yourself and your colleagues
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe and the growing list of our clients including vaccination status as part of their mandated health and safety requirements to work with them, you will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to WSP as a condition of employment.
You may also be required to undergo additional immunization to maintain a fully vaccinated status against COVID-19 whenever local Public Health Authorities recommend additional immunization.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY .
WSP Canada Inc.
Intermediate (6 - 10 years)