Canfor is one of the world’s largest and most respected integrated forest products companies. For more than 75 years, we have been delivering top-quality lumber, pulp and paper products to our valued customers worldwide. With operations in Western Canada and the Southern United States, and sales offices around the world, you can find Canfor products in every corner of the globe. We are leaders in sustainable forest management and in converting wood residuals into green energy.
As a result of Canfor’s recent growth and its ongoing innovation, diversification, and integration efforts, Canfor and Canfor Pulp have created a new senior management position, General Manager, Business Analytics, to support its efforts in achieving the strategic, operational, and financial targets both companies have set for 2020.
The GM, Business Analytics will be charged with developing a highly effective margin-focused, collaborative business analytics strategy across all of Canfor’s North America’s lumber, pulp and energy businesses. In this role, the successful candidate will provide best-in-class resources, practices and processes in support of the Company’s recently commenced "Drive to 20% ROIC" (DT20%) margin and working capital improvement initiative, which is already yielding impressive results across the organization’s business streams. As Canfor’s recognized business analytics leader, this role will oversee the performance and progress of this DT20% initiative, working closely with numerous business leaders to identify and analyze various key opportunities to enhance the Company’s margin and working capital performance.
As a seasoned business leader, the GM, Business Analytics will also play a key role in capturing synergies and other opportunities following the recent significant growth of its lumber business (notably in the US South), as well as the closer integration of the Western Canadian lumber, pulp and energy businesses. In addition, he/she will partner with Canfor’s business leaders to build on the early successes from the Company’s recent implementation of a Sales, Supply Chain, Transportation and Inventory ERP platform across its US and Canadian lumber operations (soon to be implemented for Canfor Pulp).
In conjunction with enhanced business analytics, the GM, Business Analytics will also focus on maturing the Company’s efforts in its path to becoming a global best-in-class insight and high-impact finance organization, including adopting the application of business-focused Business Intelligence and (big) Data Analytics, where they provide the Company with a clear competitive advantage.
Recognizing innovation and diversification as key elements of Canfor’s strategy, the successful candidate will also play a leadership role in providing rigorous analysis in support of major strategic initiatives, including biomass optimization initiatives.
The successful candidate will have extensive business experience in the Western Canadian forestry sector, principally in a Senior Business Analyst and Management capacity, and will possess highly effective leadership skills, including the ability to forge and build strong relationships and foster a highly collaborative working environment. He/she will be adept at seeing the big picture, yet comfortable with detail - possess an unrelenting commitment to excellence and have an impressive track record of delivering outstanding results. Recognizing the strategic component of the role, he/she will also have a proven ability to take ideas and opportunities from concept to solution, and develop and executing on compelling, value-added business strategies.
- Develop a highly effective margin-focused, collaborative business analytics strategy across all of Canfor’s North America’s lumber, pulp and energy businesses, including an organizational model to support this.
- Provide strategic and operational analytics leadership and support to optimize various areas of Canfor’s business.
- Lead the finance effort to optimize revenues and margins from multiple business streams; provide rigorous analysis of major strategic initiatives and capital projects, surfacing key insights.
- Monitor the performance progress of Canfor’s "Drive to 20% ROIC" (DT20%) initiative; identifying and analyzing various key opportunities to enhance the Company’s margin and working capital performance.
- Build strong relationships in a consultative capacity, becoming a trusted advisor to each area of Canfor’s business.
- Develop relationships and establish credibility with the senior executive team and key leaders within each business.
- Successfully integrate into the "Drive to 20% ROIC" initiative.
- Develop a cohesive business analytics strategy, build support for it within the company, and start to implement it.
- Determine resourcing and team needs to build a highly effective analytics function that has - as its core mandate - successful partnerships with Canfor’s different businesses.
- Relater: Purposefully builds positive working relationships internally at all levels as well as alliances and partnerships externally by fostering trust, collaboration and teamwork; demonstrates sensitivity and openness to others' views; uses EQ to adapt interpersonal style to relate well to others.
- Achiever: Gets things done by setting clear expectations, promoting high levels of accountability, monitoring performance, and getting directly involved when needed to achieve desired business results; uses business and financial acumen to create value and drive profitability.
- Strategist: Fosters new ways of thinking and drives needed change to transform the business; uses foresight, environmental awareness and thought leadership to create a compelling vision for the future and develops distinctive strategies to achieve desired business outcomes
- Extensive business experience in the Western Canadian forestry sector, principally in a senior analyst and management / leadership capacity.
- Industry-leading knowledge of Business Analytics.
- Strong leadership skills including strong relational ability, leadership by example and unquestioned integrity.
- Ability to see "big picture" yet comfortable with detail.
- Experience at developing and managing small, cross-functional teams.
- Possesses strong drive and unrelenting commitment to excellence, with strong track record of delivering outstanding results.
- Proven ability in being highly collaborative and integration minded, while staying highly results focused.
- Previous experience managing change well, directly through dedicated teams and indirectly through empowering and supporting other business leaders.
- Ability to take ideas and opportunities from concept to solution.
- Experience in developing, and subsequently executing, on business strategies.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30-40%.
Education and qualifications
Hiring for this position is ongoing. To be considered for this position, please apply today.
- Undergraduate university degree required
There has never been a better time to join the Canfor team and become part of the modern forest industry. We have a wide range of rewarding careers in some of the best communities in North America, with plenty of room for advancement. Our mills are modern, high-tech and safe; and our marketing and sales activities are world-class. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, and are committed to the professional development of our employees. Follow us on LinkedIn , Twitter , and Facebook for Canfor news, career opportunities, and upcoming events!
Grand, green and clean, Vancouver is a piece of perfection on the southern coast of British Columbia. The city of Vancouver is both a natural beauty and a progressive urban center, peppered with beaches, green spaces and glimmering glass towers that reach from sea to sky. Vancouver has one of Canada’s mildest climates, allowing days to be devoted to outdoor pursuits, health and wellness. Once night falls on the city however, a very different scene pulses to life with options for laughter or libation, cuisine or culture, and action or entertainment. Vancouver boasts countless choices for culturally diverse, world-class cuisine, a flourishing cocktail scene and an inventory of arts and entertainment events.
For more information on the area go to http://vancouver.ca/