Please review the job details below.
Are you keen to have large scale impact in the work that you do? Are you eager to learn and develop your career in software and systems engineering? Do you want to work with experienced engineers who are delivering cutting-edge technical solutions to some of the most complex problems in the world?
If you do, we would be thrilled to discuss why you should consider the opportunities MDA offers to grow your skills and career.
Who we are:
MDA is a global aerospace, communications, and information company serving commercial and government customers worldwide. MDA's established global customer base is served by more than 4,800 employees operating from 11 locations in the United States, Canada, and internationally.
The Defence solutions group is a leading provider of large, complex surveillance and intelligence solutions for government and commercial customers around the world. Our mission-critical solutions provide the high-quality information needed to support decision processes in environments where quality, performance, availability, responsiveness and value intersect. Working in multidisciplinary teams, we deliver ship and naval electronics solutions that support critical aspects of modern naval operations, from combat systems and ship sensors to wide-area surveillance and vessel tracking and identification solutions that support integrated Command and Control and C4ISR systems. We are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of ship and naval electronic systems solutions. Come be a part of the team that supports deployed missions across the globe and ensures the next generation of naval personnel are operationally ready. Position Description:
As a Software Engineer, you will be part of a larger project team responsible for the development and delivery, to NATO, of the Functional Services for Command and Control of Maritime Operations (TRITON). You will participate in the full development life cycle using a diverse mix of leading-edge technologies to build a standalone Visualization Component for use with TRITON and other systems.
Successful candidates would join our team as a software engineer and can expect to:
- Learn - while you leverage your past work experience, we will teach you about the unique challenges of the maritime domain and our customers.
- Work - you will join one of our teams within the Defence Solutions group. You will work with your team members and product owner to build effective software and deliver it to internal stakeholders and customers
- Grow - your talents will be rewarded with opportunities for career and personal growth in an organization dedicated to success in a team environment.
- Creating engineering solutions that are attractive to customers, technically competitive, cost-effective and have direct impact to our customers.
- Working from requirements and customer interactions to develop or modify complex software applications.
- Planning work, providing effort estimates, driving your work to completion - on time & on budget.
- Designing, coding, testing, debugging and documenting high quality software applications at all levels
- Participating in integration, testing and deployment of software applications at all levels.
- Assisting in troubleshooting problems in development and operational production environments.
- Following established development processes and corporate technical and quality standards.
Candidates must have the following knowledge, experience and skills:
Knowledge and experience in the following areas will be an asset:
- A University Degree or Technical Diploma from an accredited institution in computer science, software engineering, or a combination of related education and experience.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience.
- A demonstrated understanding of object oriented design, programming, data structures and algorithms, software design patterns and work across multiple systems.
- Proficient in front-end development with good knowledge of at least one scripting language and web application framework, preferably TypeScript and Angular.
- Possess excellent problem-solving, critical thinking skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment.
Perks of our Richmond facility
- Experience working within a large organization and managing different stakeholders and dependencies
- Service-oriented architectures (SOA), particularly REST and Microservices practices.
- Java in back-end systems
- Geospatial data services (e.g. OGC standards, OpenLayers) and Messaging APIs (e.g. CMAPI)
- JSON, XML, HTML, Python
- Docker, Kubernetes, Maven, Ant, Jenkins, Package managers (e.g. npm)
- Agile, Scrum experience
- Flexible office hours
- Standard 40 hour work week, overtime is tracked and compensated
- Office and lab-style work environments
- In-house training for both hard and soft skills, professional development funding
- Fitness facilities: aerobics floor with instructor lead classes, free weights, exercise machines and showers
- Full onsite cafeteria serving hot daily specials
- Kitchenettes (with fridges and microwaves) throughout the building offering complimentary coffee and tea
- Ample free parking for cars, motorcycles and bicycles
- Translink bus stop within steps of the building. Shuttle service from Bridgeport skytrain station is also available
- Company sponsored events including some for families with children
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.