Front End Developer
Founded in 1999, and still privately held today, we are a technology company that is knocking down walls, changing the foundation and building a smarter, simpler and empowered home improvement industry. We love the people we work with and the culture we’ve built. For us, curiosity is a mindset that sees a problem as the start of a great solution. We believe the best learning and greatest discoveries come from trying, even if you fail. We love that we aren’t perfect, but every day we are trying to get better at what we do.
If you have built a career by translating functional requirements and wire-frames into inspiring, intuitive interfaces. You are an entrepreneur at heart and what floats your boat is finding ways to create an exceptional customer experience that is reflective of who we are and what makes home renovation and buying online simple.
As a Front-End Developer you will use your killer combination of front-end programming, collaboration, and communication skills to contribute to an ecommerce platform and applications. You thrive in a high growth organization, which takes learning seriously and cares truly, madly, and deeply about our customers, suppliers and our team.
We’re going places. Join us.What You’ll Do:
What you Need to Know
- Develop and maintain applications for performance and web standards
- Work closely with Product Manager on interpreting functional requirements
- Identify technical constraints early on in the project and be able to suggest workarounds
- Focus on scalability, flexible design, and maintainability
- Test, debug, perform QA and optimize code for performance, maintainability and standards
- Implement and develop client-side components to web standards and best practices
- Investigate and learn new web technologies
- Audit existing code and make optimization recommendations
- Assist current team in enhancing the front-end architecture and implementation
What You Must Have
- Experience with React
- Knowledge of E-Commerce systems and Search and Navigation Solutions.
- Good understanding of cross-browser/cross-platform issues and web standards
- Knowledge of SASS, RESTful services, MVC
- Knowledge of unit testing
- Experience with Gatsby, GraphQL is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate technical
- Comfortable consuming 3rd party APIs
- SEO experience is an asset
- Mobile development experience an asset
- High levels of integrity and a commitment to do what you say you are going to do
- A desire to learn and continuously improve
- High level of trust and a commitment to doing what you say you are going to do
- An obsession for delighting customers
- A passionate drive to deliver results and constantly raise the bar
- An entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and challenges with enthusiasm
- Ability and desire to be scrappy, move fast and operate effectively in a rapidly changing environment
- Innate motivation to learn and continuously develop yourself
- High degree of empathy and the ability to see other’s perspective
- Commitment to fearless communication
Founded in 1999, BuildDirect is the innovative marketplace for purchasing and selling quality home improvement & flooring materials online. BuildDirect co-founders wanted to simplify the home improvement industry and give the power of choice back to the homeowner and home improvement professional. They wanted to provide those seeking to build or improve homes with an online marketplace to access the flooring products they want, at the prices they’d love, delivered on time directly to their doorstep. And today we do just that.
Servicing North America, BuildDirect connects homeowners and home improvement professionals with sellers around the world, creating a much simpler and trusted shopping experience. The platform offers Pro’s and Homeowners the ability to purchase various volumes of flooring products direct from Sellers. This keeps costs low, often up to half the price found at big box stores or specialty retailers, and provides efficient direct-to-home (or jobsite) shipping of those products.BuildDirect Perks
- Office located in the heart of the growing tech area of downtown Vancouver, with 360-degree views of the city, easy access to public transit, near 100’s of restaurants & bars, and onsite ping pong
- Weekly fresh fruit deliveries and unlimited fresh coffee & tea
- Newly renovated onsite gym, lockers, and bike storage
- Unlimited vacation
- Employee stock options
- Extended health benefits (i.e., naturopath, massage therapy, acupuncture)
- Annual learning benefit
- Regular company-wide & team events
- A culture of talented people, that like to have fun!