position Purpose summary:
The Food Services Manager provides leadership in directing and coordinating the food services operations for Southview Heights and Terrace and ensures compliance with the Canada Food Guide and applicable health regulations.
- Hires, trains, develops, and evaluates all Food Service personnel; ensures staff safety in compliance with Health and Safety standards; monitors and analyzes incident reports.
- Perform duties in accordance with policies and procedures, contracts, and the local collective agreement.
- Establishes and evaluates standards, policies, and procedures for the department’s delivery of food services.
- Takes responsibility for the ordering, receiving, storing, and monitoring of food and kitchen supplies, taking inventory of stock every month to account for purchases and unused items.
- Adheres to principles/directives of Food Safe in storage, handling, and preparation of food.
- Plans or may plan the budget for Food Services and monitors compliance to meet targets.
- Plans menus and develops recipes.
- Supervises the preparation and delivery of meals at special events.
- Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing, to all internal and external contacts.
- Responds to residents’ requests and feedback regarding meals served; follows up and documents in writing, as necessary.
- Decides on the appropriate, most efficient use of food to minimize wastage.
- Ensures the security of food and kitchen supplies, and the safe use and maintenance of equipment.
- Takes responsibility for the ordering and monitoring of food, kitchen supplies, housekeeping, and laundry supplies.
- Prepares and maintains reports, statistics and records as required by unit’s policy and procedures, funding agencies and other bodies as appropriate.
- Understands senior living concepts.
- May assist in cooking of meals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CRITICAL RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
Governance Boards and Councils: None
- Executive Director
- Management Team members
- Food Services Team members
- Other staff members
- Visitors to Southview
- Fellow Food Services Managers at other Salvation Army locations
MANAGERIAL/Technical Leadership RESPONSIBILITY:
- Direct reports for this position: Executive Director
- The kitchen manager will have responsibility for managing up to 20 – 22 staff .
Financial and Materials Management:
- This role will be responsible for safekeeping, management, and allocation responsibility over the food resources and supplies, planning meals to maximize on resources and minimize waste
- This role will have financial expenditure authority on food budget; accountable to adhere to the wise use of the budget provided
- May have limited input to the development of new policies and procedures pertaining to the management of financial resources
The work environment is typically in a large and busy kitchen. The incumbent works as part of the dietary team. Conditions may include:
- Hot/Steamy environment
- Crowded in some cases
- Pressure with timelines
- Cuts, Burns and entering freezers
- Exposure to infectious diseases
- Sharp objects
- Electrical hazards
- Injury from lifting
- Falling on wet/slippery floors
- Dealing with difficult resident situations
The above responsibilities must be discharged in accordance with The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement, in a professional manner, exemplifying Christian standards of conduct.
education and experience Qualifications:
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completion of a formal post-secondary/college program of two academic years
- Red Seal designation will be considered as an asset
- Current Food Safe Level 1 minimum
- WHMIS certificate
- First Aid certificate
- Current negative TB test
- Able to pass a Criminal Record check
- A different combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Capabilities (examples provided below):
- At least three (3) years’ experience in quantity cooking preferably in the service industry
- At least two years’ management or supervisory experience
- Strong sense of integrity and confidentiality with professional ethics and a balanced sense of fairness and flexibility
- Organization and time management skills
- Ability to read and implement recipes and work routines
- Ability to read and follow recipes in imperial or metric
- Able to taste all prepared foods
- Good health. Able to lift 15kgs
- A disposition for working with seniors
- Able to support the commitment statement of Southview Heights and Terrace
- Able to attend management meetings and other meetings as required
- Participate in performance evaluations with supervisor as required
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Hospitality and Tourism