FO 21R - Senior Inspector Position Classification
Financial Officer R21 Union
GEU Work Options
Surrey, BC V4P 1M5 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$67,728.87 - $77,012.22 annually Close Date
6/22/2023 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Finance Ministry Branch / Division
CTAB/Revenue Job Summary A dynamic opportunity to advance your career with the Ministry of Finance
The Senior Inspector conducts field inspections and audits (small and limited scope audits) in a variety of businesses operating within the province, and assesses non-compliance, identifies risk factors, reports on inspections and audit findings and establishes evidence and attends court for offences under the relevant taxation statutes administered by the branch including but not limited to Provincial Sales Tax Act, Motor Fuel Tax Act, Tobacco Tax Act, and Carbon Tax Act.
As the ideal candidate, you have excellent analytical research skills to gather and interpret information, apply legislation, and establish evidence to support inspection findings and audit assessments. You are highly advanced in professional communication and negotiation skills necessary to finalize proposed assessments and resolve contentious issues.
Must be willing and able to travel within the province, including overnight.Job Requirements:
- Degree in a related discipline such as financial management, administrative law, investigation and enforcement and 1 year of *related experience; OR
- Diploma in a related discipline such as financial management, administrative law, investigation and enforcement and 3 years of *related experience; OR
- Certification in a related discipline such as financial management, administrative law, investigation and enforcement and 4 years of *related experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and *related experience may be considered.
- Must have avalid Class 5 or 7, BC driver's license or equivalent, with no 'L' (learners)restrictions.
*Related experience must include all the following:
- Financial Management and/or Accounting
- Interpreting and applying legislation
- Using Microsoft Excel at an intermediate level (working with multiple worksheets, finding, and replacing data, sub-totaling, sorting and filtering large data sets, applying basic formulas, data imports and working with text data)
Preference may be given to those with:
- Experience working with the application of policy and procedures to encourage voluntary compliance
- Experience working independently in the field
- Experience working with the administration of the following BC statutes: Provincial Sales Tax Act, Motor Fuel Tax Act, Carbon Tax Act or Tobacco Tax Act
- Must be willing and able to travel within the province.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Suzanne.Hughes@gov.bc.ca
.About this Position:
There are currently 3 positions available.
Flexible work options are available;this position may be able to work up to 5 days at home per week as per the Telework Agreement.
An eligibility list may be established to fill future temporary and permanent vacancies.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
The BC Public Service is an award-winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer .How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above.Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES
- You will need to complete a basic questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Banking, Finance and Insurance