Western Forest Products is currently seeking a Field Planner to join our North Island Forest Operation (Holberg Location).
Holberg is located on the northern end of Vancouver Island approximately 45 minutes west of Port Hardy. Holberg is a very small hamlet that is easily accessed from the communities of Port Hardy, Port McNeill and Winter Harbour. The west coast of northern Vancouver Island is still very much a wild and rugged landscape boasting beautiful beaches and landscapes that would rival any found on the island. Surfing, hiking, sport fishing, hunting and caving, Holberg has something to offer anyone who enjoys our amazing coastal environment.
This exciting position requires someone who is willing to participate in all aspects of coastal engineering and silviculture (we will exploit your strengths, work closely with falling, road construction and yarding and loading phase supervisors, and must perform strongly both independently and in a team environment. This job opportunity will expose you to all the aspects of coastal BC planning, resource development and harvesting operations all in a fast paced environment and in a beautiful setting
This position is responsible for planning, field layout, contractor supervision and quality control, relief road supervision and occasional bridge installations. This position is also required to process the paper and permits for fieldwork completed by contract engineers totaling up to 350,000 m3 per year.
Reporting to the Operations Planner, this highly motivated and physically capable individual will be an integral part of the planning team and assist in the following key functions:
• Support a culture of safety leadership and promotes a respectful workplace
• Participate in a team environment that shares information, welcomes creativity, and challenges the status quo
• Complete road and cutblock layout and the associated harvesting plans
• Assist in the completion of peer review of cutblock site plans
• Ensure consistency of the planning process with higher level requirements, government legislation, and CSA certification plans
• Organize and supervise various planning consultants
• Experience in using MS Office Suite, Road Eng, Cenfor, ArcView, Forest Ops, and GPS is an asset.