Why WSP? Enhance
the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
WSP is currently seeking an Intermediate Biologist to join our Ecology and Environmental Impact Assessment Team. The successful candidate will be provided the opportunity to work on interesting and diverse projects across BC, with a wide range of complexity.A day in the life...
What you'll bring to WSP...
- Collect data to answer diverse ecological questions by developing study designs and implementing field programs in terrestrial and freshwater aquatic settings (i.e. environmental monitoring/ management activities, fish and fish habitat assessments, fish salvage, water quality, benthic invertebrates, sediment, vegetation, and wildlife surveys) for various types of projects including power, mines, infrastructure, and oil and gas;
- Assisting with leadership in, and following health and safety requirements;
- Generate specialized technical reports to meet the unique needs of clients. Examples include quantitative wildlife, fisheries, vegetation, and water quality studies;
- Prepare environmental assessments and develop strategies to mitigate potential impacts to environmental resources;
- Write environmental management and protection plans, environmental effects assessments and effectiveness monitoring plans, and habitat offsetting plans;
- Work with a large team of other experts to provide practical solutions to some of the most complex environmental management problems faced by industry and governments;
- Collaborate with industry, government, non-government organizations, and First Nations to achieve satisfactory environmental outcomes for development projects;
- Contribute to proposals and business development activities in procuring project work with our clients.
- A passion for the outdoors and for wildlife, fisheries, and vegetation;
- A degree in ecology or a related field;
- A Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) with the BC College of Applied Biology, or the education needed to apply to the college;
- Strong commitment to health and safety;
- Demonstrated ability to compile and analyze ecological data; peer reviewed publications are an asset;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with environmental assessment, effects monitoring programs, and/or special research studies in applied ecology;
- Desire to provide high-quality, innovative, and practicable solutions for clients;
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in an atmosphere that requires cooperation and teamwork to provide quality, solution-oriented consulting services;
- Demonstrated field skills and ability to manage complex programs involving substantial ecological data;
- A valid Class-5 or higher driver's licence.