Position Title Environmental Scan on Indigenous Sport Stream: Student Research Assistant Posting Number 00622SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $13.85/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/03/2019 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See work arrangements. Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2019: September 3, 2019 - December 16, 2019
2. Winter 2020: January 2, 2020 - April 22, 2020
3. Summer 2020: May 4, 2020 - August 16, 2020
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Support the primary investigator (Instructor) in the collection, organization, and visualization of publicly available data on the events, organizations, and individuals who make up the Indigenous Sport Sector.Responsibilities
- Locating publicly available information on all-Indigenous sport events occurring, and organizations operating, in British Columbia.
- Locating publicly available information on all-Indigenous sport events occurring, and organizations operating, nationally.
- Organizing all data retrieved into a manageable format.
- Assisting the research team with data visualization.
- Assisting the research team with organizing sport-centered on-campus events for National Indigenous Peoples Day.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- 3rd year status at Douglas College in a preferred program such as Sport Science/ BPEC ; Therapeutic Recreation; Sociology; Child, Family, and Community Studies.
- Completion of a Research Methods course, with at least a B or higher grade.
- Proficiency with Social Media platforms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and similar data management systems.
- Willingness to learn how to use Data Visualization software, Canva (Asset).
- Familiarity with Indigenous Sport; direct involvement (Asset).
- Preference will be given to Indigenous applicants.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term.
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 07/25/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2019
2. Winter 2020
3. Summer 2020
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/4863