Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Performs testing, research and analysis on a variety of electrical equipment; develops and prepares technical reports from analytical conclusions; liaises with others outside Powertech to develop business for the lab.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Undertakes testing and applied research using various tests and analysis on a variety of electrical equipment; develops modified and novel testing or analysis procedures for new or unusual materials and equipment or unusual problems
- Develops and writes technical reports incorporating conclusions based on test and analysis results; develops and writes instructions for safe use and handling of equipment and materials
- Develops, researches, analyzes and tests new materials for recommendation or rejection to Powertech clients
- Troubleshoots, repairs and calibrates a wide variety of electronic/electrical test equipment, related mechanical components, micro-processor based equipment, digital/analog and chemical analyzers
- Liaises with clients, potential clients and others in the industry to develop business for the lab; discuses and explains costs and time involved in test procedures
- May be required to provide work leadership/technical direction to employees in lower level technical positions
- May be required to perform all the functions within the Technician job stream
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job; this includes the performance of duties across disciplines in a job of the same or lower job group.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Excellent working knowledge of analysis and testing procedures for a variety of electrical and electronic components and equipment
- Good working knowledge on how to apply failure analysis testing to a variety of electrical and electronic components and equipment
- Good knowledge of the operation, manufacturing processes, machining and related construction techniques for electronic equipment
- Excellent knowledge of related testing standards and procedures good working knowledge of how to calibrate, maintain and repair related electrical and electronic testing instrumentation and equipment and apply accepted testing standards
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of how to interpret and adapt high voltage/high power mechanical laboratory testing procedures
- Good working knowledge of high voltage/high power testing and analysis procedures, testing standards and quality assurance principles
- Ability to modify existing test methods to perform unique tests or achieve different results.
- Good knowledge of circuit analysis
- Good technical report writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Basic marketing skills
- Good knowledge of related safety and WHMIS regulations
- Basic knowledge of MS Office applications
Experience, Training and Education:
- National Diploma of Technology from an Institute of Technology in Electrical (power/control option) with minimum 4 years’ related experience
- Experience in testing transmission and distribution equipment highly desirable
- Experience in dielectric testing is highly desirable
- Excellent trouble shooting skills are a must
- This role will involve work in the field (80%) and in the lab (20%) testing high voltage electrical equipment
- Must be able to work in confined space
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work at heights > 10 feet
- Frequent trips to clients regional offices across BC to conduct di-electric testing
- Must climb ladders and towers to check equipment
- Regular exposure to poor weather conditions
- May be required to spend up to 15 nights away from home
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license and a Class 3 driver’s license is highly desirable
Status: Full-Time Regular
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Compensation: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Job ID: ETAM2017.38
Close Date: October 29, 2017
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at powertechlabs.com.