When you’re passionate about what you do and where you work, the rest comes easy. That’s the culture at Central 1 Credit Union, and that’s precisely what we’re looking for from you. Supporting nearly 150 member credit unions across British Columbia and Ontario, we’re the backbone of the credit union system in both provinces – taking care of everything from online services and product development, to payment processing, trade association services and more.
Our team of over 600 employees represent some of the most innovative, passionate individuals you’ll ever meet; people who honestly care about the organization, its members and each other. In other words, people who love what they do.
The Director, Project Management Office leads the execution and overall success of Central 1’s enterprise-wide Project Management Office. The role acts as a thought leader in the field of program and project management (PPM) and is fully engaged with industry and external best practices and trends. The position is responsible for managing the PPM team, including defining, establishing and implementing the PPM processes, guides, tools, and procedures, and PPM capability development.
The role requires a unique combination of enterprise-level policy and governance skills, and extensive experiences, skills, and knowledge related to PPM, change leadership and stakeholder management with respect to various sized PPM initiatives. The individual must have the capability to work across corporate services and lines of businesses, developing a strong and detailed understanding of the business and operation processes, products and lines of business.
As a relatively new role, the individual will face high expectations for providing leadership in defining and building the team in the context of an ambitious long-term vision for the team.
I. Drive continuous development and successful implementation of PPM Practices
- As head of PMO, accountable for management of the PMO and all related functions
- Responsible for providing independent, timely, decision-oriented reporting and analysis to enable senior management, the Board and/or Central 1’s regulator to understand, manage and control project risks, particularly in the area of project portfolio management. This work includes developing and reporting on key metrics that provide insight into technology operations and the project portfolio across technology.
- Drives the continuous development and successful implementation/adoption of enterprise- wide processes, guides, templates, tool and procedures (PPM Practices) in order to deliver business value
- Continuously review annual business plan, portfolio roadmaps and central pool of PMO resources to ensure appropriate planning for project management resources and establishment of related governance structures (steering committees, etc.)
- Coordinates the development and approval of business cases, working with program/project sponsors to define scope, targets, budgets and required PMO structure and governance mechanisms for multi-disciplinary projects
- Creating, refining and maintaining PMO artifacts used for governance, including reporting dashboards (working team, executive governance, steercos, etc.), benefit trackers, budget trackers, resource plans, etc. to ensure high quality, timely and accurate progress reporting to ensure that major issues receive the appropriate level of attention
- Ensures that current project progress is reviewed against approved business cases and addresses any identified changes or concerns raised
- Facilitates benefits realization analyses on key past strategic initiatives against the original business cases
- Acts as the main resource to the Project Oversight Committee (POC); ensure that the POC receives in advance materials/documentation required by it to carry out its duties in accordance with the POC Terms of Reference
- Acts as role model in demonstrating PPM expertise and complying with PPM Practices throughout the development and implementation of initiatives
- Provides PMO team with guidance and coaching on project deliverables ensuring timely completion against a background of constantly changing and occasionally conflicting priorities
- Drives cultural changes necessary to enable PPM vision; ensures a “client” focused culture throughout the team to deepen relationships and leverage broad relationships, systems and knowledge
- Develop and maintain external networks and leverages industry knowledge related to best-in-class program/project management so as to ensure the enterprise benefits from external best practices
- Acts as a single point of contact for all project and program reporting; effectively manages issues and escalates them as required
I. PPM Tools
- Ensures standardized enterprise PPM reporting using PPM tools (Innotas);
- Determines how PPM related functionality within PPM tools is used based on PPM Practices and through input/support from key user groups, Executive Leadership Team and program/project sponsors
I. Manage/Lead PPM team
- Leads the PPM team to ensure strong business support from key stakeholder groups, including recruiting, onboarding, training, establishing objectives, conducting performance evaluations, development planning, and mentoring/coaching, in order to create and maintain a high performing team
- Ensures an overall enterprise capability baseline is assessed and reviewed
- Defines and oversees the program/project management capability development framework to elevate the PPM team; works with key stakeholders to validate development programs and enablement of improved PPM delivery
- Drives activities related to PPM development, communities of practice and training curricula
The nature of this mandate requires an extensive set of experiences, skills, and knowledge related to PPM, change leadership and stakeholder management. Given the need to ensure consistency of the PPM approach across the enterprise, the individual must have the capability to work across corporate services and lines of businesses to ensure that there is a consistent approach to PPM.
- Program/project management practitioner and process development: Minimum of 15 years of cumulative experience applying PPM Practices, PMO management, supporting strategic program/project and transformation endeavors in mid-sized +, complex organizations. Process improvement skills, and/or lean six sigma tools and methods. Formal training in the area of program/project management and Agile framework required (PMP from PMI and Agile). University undergraduate degree or equivalent experience. MBA is not required, but considered a strong asset.
- Impact and influence: Proven track record as a credible and effective advisor at all levels of the organization, including Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors. Understands how to escalate sensitive and contentious issues to achieve a constructive resolution.
- Written and verbal communication: Expert and proven skills to translate complex concepts into simple and coherent communications for audiences at all levels across the organization, including the Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- People Management – Demonstrated expertise in leadership/people management skills
- Coaching and Situational Leadership: Expert skill level in coaching others as well as the ability to modify approaches between directing, coaching, supporting, and delegating depending on the specific task and individual.
- Change Leadership: Expert skill in leading transformational change within a mid-sized organization.
- Program/project management: 15-20 years Expert knowledge of the core principles of managing programs/projects in complex organizations gained through hands-on experience in dealing with difficult situations.
- Program/project management process/tool development: 5-10 yearsexpert knowledge level in the development of PPM Practices, including PPM tools (Innotas/PlanView or similar tool experience preferred).
- Process management: 10+ years’ extensive knowledge of the key principles and characteristics of business process management in order to develop change tactics that result in sustainable, aligned processes.
- Financial institution processes: Knowledge of specific financial processes, products, and risk management practices and policies is a plus but not essential.
As much as we believe in working hard, we also believe in personal growth and taking time for ourselves. Accordingly, our total rewards philosophy amounts to one of the best compensation and benefits packages in the industry – from performance-based incentives and extended benefits, to training and education reimbursements and ample vacation time.
Central 1 is committed to diversity and inclusion. If you have a request for a disability-related accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Reporting to: Chief Transformation and Legal Officer
Date Posted: July 17, 2018
Internal Applicant Deadline: July 24, 2018
*Unsolicited resumes from vendors will not be accepted for this or any position at Central 1*
If you have any questions or issues applying please contract humanresources @central1.com
Posted: July 18, 2018
Closes: September 16, 2018