The Chilliwack Board of Education is seeking an exceptional leader for the position of Director of Human Resources, effective August 1, 2022. There is some flexibility regarding the commencement date.
THE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Chilliwack is a growing school district located in BC’s beautiful Fraser Valley. The district enrolls approximately 14,000 students and employs over 1,800 staff. We are privileged to work and learn within S’ólh Téméxw, the traditional territory of the Stó:lō people and the unceded traditional territory of the Pilalt, Ch-ihl-kway-uhk and Sema:th tribes. Offering a small-town feel with big-city facilities, Chilliwack is a much sought-after place to call home.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced and skilled Human Resources professional to join a dynamic and dedicated senior team. As a key member of district staff, reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, you will be responsible for planning and delivering quality human resource services, processes, policies and initiatives. As leader, you will be cognizant of the importance of addressing equity in human resource practices.
As Director you will facilitate meaningful engagement in every aspect of the work, exercising a natural ability to create consensus with diverse individuals and groups. A keen understanding of employee relations matters is crucial, including: human resource planning; recruitment and selection of staff; benefits; employee performance management; salary administration and salary evaluation; succession planning; human resource information system implementation; employment law; harassment; diversity training and management; labour relations policy; workplace health and safety; labour law; collective bargaining; interest-based negotiations; contract interpretations; and grievance management, investigations and dispute resolution.
You have excellent ability working in both union and non-union environments in a productive, respectful manner. With successful experience advancing a performance management culture, you are adept at training administrators to manage and support employees.
You will work collaboratively as part of a team in the successful development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of an operational plan for the HR department that aligns with, and supports, the district’s strategic plan.
YOUR LEADERSHIP ATTRIBUTES
You are dedicated to creating a positive workplace culture. Your style is founded on character leadership and the ability to influence change-based on expertise and trust. Courageous, visionary, passionate and collaborative, you are recognized for leading by positive example. You approach challenges with both flexibility and firmness.
Understanding how the organization and community are connected, you will seek opportunities to positively represent the district. Your work will establish the district as a leader in the areas of recruitment and retention.
The Board is seeking an inspiring leader with excellent interpersonal skills who will nurture strong and trusting relationships with staff, union representatives, leaders and the community at large.
The successful candidate will:
• possess broad awareness of human resource dynamics and significant current experience in public-sector Human Resources, preferably in an educational setting within BC
• have a post-graduate degree in leadership, administration or related area
• have a designation as a Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR), or in the process of completing your CPHR requirements.
• possess a minimum of five years’ experience working as a senior Human Resources professional
• have demonstrated the ability to build relationships of trust through open and transparent communication
• employ active listening skills, with the ability to communicate to diverse groups in a clear and transparent manner
• display decisiveness, courage and resiliency, persevering towards accomplishing goals in the face of challenge
• enjoy a strong record of success in treating others with respect, compassion and sensitivity – a listening leader
• demonstrate an understanding of First Nations cultures and the strengths and challenges of the community – valuing First Nations people and their contributions and eager to learn about local context
• boast a record of engaging in meaningful consultation and shared decision-making
• be a self-starter in identifying areas for improvements
• have the exceptional organizational and time management skills necessary for responding to complex responsibilities.
All Documentation is to be Submitted in a Single PDF. Completed applications are to be captioned as Director of HR and emailed by 3:00 PDT, June 24, 2022 to:
Superintendent of Schools
School District 33 (Chilliwack) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further details regarding application requirements are outlined below and on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/3muxE1z.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS AND TIMELINES
KEY RECRUITMENT DATES
We are working with very tight timelines to have interviews scheduled in late June and early July.
Applications close at 3:00 pm PDT on June 24, 2022.
Candidates will be notified by June 27 of their status.
Interviews are scheduled, over a two day period, with Preliminary interview activities taking place during the day of June 30, 2022, please plan accordingly.
Final interviews, will take place during the day of July 5 or 6, 2022.
It is anticipated that the successful candidate will assume the position as early as possible in August. Details to be finalized at the time of appointment.
APPLICATION PACKAGE REQUIREMENTS
Please submit a cover letter describing your particular interest in the position, current role and key responsibilities you have had related to the position of Director of Human Resources.
A complete and current resume must be provided, clearly describing:
• all relevant education,
• all job and leadership experiences related to the role,
• provincial and/or community involvement/committees, and
• any awards or certificates of recognition.
Letters of reference are not required, please submit reference contacts as described at https://bit.ly/3muxE1z.
References To Be Contacted
It is anticipated that references will be contacted over the weekend of June 25th, so please provide information with that in mind. A one-page list of professional references, with contact emails and two phone numbers (office or home or cell), including one from each of the specific references described below:
All Documentation is to be Submitted in a single PDF. Completed applications are to be captioned as Director of Human Resources and emailed by 3:00PM PDT, June 24, 2022 to:
Superintendent of Schools
School District 33 (Chilliwack)
QUESTIONS REGARDING THE POSITION CAN BE DIRECTED TO
#69 - VanHack - How to Stand Out in Job Applications
About Make a Future
Make a Future is a recruitment initiative created by the BC Public School Employers’ Association as a joint venture among BC’s 60 public boards of education, the First Nations Education Steering Co...Read More