Closing Date: December 1, 2023
As Canada's largest diversified mining company, Teck is committed to providing the world with essential resources safely and sustainably. We have a rich history of consistently driving innovation, harnessing cutting-edge technology, and cultivating a dynamic environment that empowers our employees to shape the future.
Reporting to the Vice President, Environment, the Director, Legacy Properties is responsible for leading the safe and sustainable management of Teck's global portfolio of legacy properties in compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements. An exception is our small portfolio of legacy properties in the United States which are managed directly by a team based in Spokane, Washington, in accordance with systems coordinated by the Director Legacy Properties.
The Legacy Properties team manages over 30 properties, with the majority of these being in Canada. This includes managing activities with material health, safety and environmental risks including maintenance and closure of tailings storage facilities, driving, working underground, working in confined spaces, electrical and process plant operation, aviation and working alone and in remote locations. The role includes a wide range of interactions with communities of interest and management responsibility for external and internal reporting. The annual budget is in the range of $50 to $60 million.
This role has a dotted line to the Head of Nature and Closure whose team support by helping to develop plans to move legacy properties with ongoing closure needs into full post-closure. The successful candidate must possess outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to build and nurture positive working relationships. Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to be part of one of Canada's leading mining companies and join our team! Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental policies and procedures. Demonstrate strong safety leadership as evidenced through a strengthened safety culture, training and awareness in hazard identification and high potential risk management, compliance with incident reporting and investigation requirements and a low frequency of injuries, with zero incidence of disabling injuries
- Lead a team of approximately 45 employees plus contractors
- responsible for legacy properties
- Implement internal and external standards and tools for the management and reporting of Teck's health, safety, environment and community risks and liabilities associated with legacy properties
- Achieve compliance with permits and regulatory authorizations
- Plan and implement projects vital for the care and maintenance of legacy properties
- Manage land-related assets to ensure control and access to sites and to minimize liabilities
- Work closely with the Head of Nature and Closure and team to prioritize and plan closure activities to reduce risk, build safe and stable landforms, and meet regulatory and community expectations
- Find opportunities for positive outcomes from legacy properties, such as net positive impact on biodiversity, generation of renewable energy, and supporting community uses of land
- Provide post-closure related risk assessment and risk management guidance to operations and sites in closure
- Represent Teck on relevant national and international committees, industry associations and professional organizations
- Promote and form constructive relationships and manage expectations with regulators, Indigenous groups, NGOs, and the public
- Communicate and negotiate with stakeholders on sophisticated technical, legal and regulatory issues in a manner that reflects transparency, competency, trust, and corporate objectives
- Extensive experience with project planning and execution in the mining industry; demonstrated success in working with operations, engineering teams, and communities
- Minimum 15 years' experience in mining and/or industrial operations and project management, typically grounded in an engineering, science, business or law degree
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent financial and project management experience with a track record that includes management and direction of multiple projects and project budgets in excess of $25 million
- Strong analytical and decision-making abilities with a proven capacity in practical problem solving
- Proven and exemplary skills in leading a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings. Proficiency in French or Spanish is an asset
- Able to build and nurture positive working relationships with individuals of a diverse set of backgrounds
At Teck, we offer more than just a job - we provide a pathway to personal and professional enrichment. With captivating projects set against stunning backdrops, a culture of inclusivity and collaboration, and boundless opportunities to learn and grow, joining us means embracing a fulfilling and dynamic career adventure.
Teck employees receive access to our total rewards program and comprehensive benefits package that promote physical, mental, financial, and emotional well-being. This includes but is not limited to:
• Annual Performance Bonus
• Profit Share Plan
• Health Spending Account
• Personal Spending Account
• Extended Health Care
• Dental and Vision Care
• Employer Paid Pension Plan
• Life Insurance and Disability Coverage
• Paid Sick Leave, Vacation and Holidays
• Virtual Telemedicine and additional support for overall well-being
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) Salary Range:
$169,000 - $209,000
The actual base salary offered is determined based on the successful candidate's relevant experience, skills, and competencies and considers internal equity. About Teck
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution. Qualified applicants interested in joining dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets. Teck has been named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for the six consecutive years. Teck has also been named to the Forbes list of the World's Best Employers for the past two years and is one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People . Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
Sustainability, Compliance, Coal Mining, Manager, Energy, Legal, Mining, Management