The Director, Solution Infrastructure is a cloud expert that requires a wide breadth of knowledge, spanning all aspects of DevOps. You will be actively involved with the entire lifecycle of infrastructure architecture, development, and operation - including application development, deployment, monitoring, and maintenance. You will lead a small, highly technical team to ensure that our full-stack CI/CD and release management tools and capabilities align with developer needs, and that our infrastructure is ready to deliver our SaaS solutions to our customers.
We’re seeking the kind of candidate who identifies repeatable tasks and automates them, spots scalability concerns in infrastructure and code design and addresses them. Vivonet’s production infrastructure is deployed in AWS, and we are looking for an AWS advocate and aficionado.
Our cross-functional teams work in a fast paced agile environment with continuous integration.
As the Director, Solution Infrastructure you will help ensure service availability, scalability and reliability, while leading and mentoring the team responsible for our SaaS infrastructure. You will assist the team with incident management, root cause analysis, problem management, and troubleshooting in production and non-production environments.
- Demonstrate very strong technical leadership and people management skills including solid communication and analytical skills with thorough understanding of product development and successful problem definition, decomposition, estimation and resolution
- Manage team members in multiple work locations. (Some North-America travel required)
- Utilize your deep knowledge of operations engineering, connected services, and information technology plus their knowledge of industry best practices to innovate and influence operational approaches and solutions.
- Coach and mentor deployment engineers and software development staff on methods and techniques for scalable operational solutions
- Document and share knowledge using Confluence
- Exercise independent judgment in the selection of methods and techniques used to deliver operational solutions.
- Coach, mentor and lead a diverse group of lean/agile software and build/release engineers
- Work cross functionally with other business departments to align activities and deliverables
- Communicate effectively both within immediate team and leadership. Ensure team receives consistent messages and has clear understanding of business direction, strategy and results
Development Operations (Dev Ops):
- Work with service owners across the businesses to understand needs & vision; quickly translate that vision into demonstrable prototypes
- Work directly with internal customers to understand business and technical needs
- Drive increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating duplication, leveraging product and technology reuse
- Support process improvements which guide the development, sustaining & support activities
- Coordinate technical dependencies with other teams.
- May act as a technical lead for complex projects.
- Identify, prototype, and implement third-party, open source, or SaaS solutions to address development and operational challenges.
- Help build a world class DevOps team to enable the continuous delivery of complex software platforms and research projects of varying size and duration
- Build Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and Continuous Deployment automation, leveraging tools & best practices that will support, enhance and grow Vivonet’s capabilities
- Influence decision making through active partnership with cross-functional teams
- Own and manage the multiple rapid prototyping and product development work streams
- Deliver resource strategy and plans, including use of 3rd parties/partners, etc., in support of development and support activities
Education and Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years’ direct experience managing teams in an agile environment across multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- 3-5 years’ experience with AWS deployments and methodology, including S3, EC2, RDS, ELB, Glacier and other core AWS technologies
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a cloud environment
- AWS Certification is an asset
- Experience of VMWare/Xen or other virtualization technologies is a strong plus
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills, with a creative and flexible attitude
- Strong experience with scripting languages (shell, bash, Python etc.)
- Understanding of designing and deploying Highly Available software solutions
- Experience with VPN and virtualization technology
- A firm understanding of TCP/ IP Network, SMTP, SSH, DNS, CDN, infrastructure and network security
- Experience with deploying HAProxy, Apache, Tomcat, MariaDB, RabbitMQ and other SaaS delivery technologies
- Experience with automated builds, continuous integration (e.g. Jenkins, Git, Maven)
- Networking troubleshooting and setup– including load balancers and routing.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- A passion for learning & technology
Established in 2005, Vivonet is a leading provider of cloud-based technology solutions for the hospitality industry. Vivonet solutions provide hospitality businesses with additional insights and intelligence to help them unlock hidden business potential and improve organizational performance. Based right in the heart of downtown Vancouver, Vivonet offers a fun and engaging work culture that empowers staff to develop and implement great ideas that solve problems for our customers.
If you’re interested in this role, please apply by sending a resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All offers of employment are subject to Canadian criminal record checks and credit checks due to payment card industry compliance standards.
Posted: September 27, 2016
Closes:November 26, 2016