Position Title Director, Employee and Labour Relations Posting Number 01893SA Location Hybrid / New Westminster Campus / Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level A - Pay Band 15 Salary Range - Position Type Administration - Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Administration Start Date 09/01/2023 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift N/A Work Arrangements
Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. The position is located at the New Westminster campus; however, travel between campuses may be required.
Douglas College is committed to supporting a healthy work/life balance for employees. We offer:
•Competitive extended benefits, •Family-friendly benefits (including top-ups for maternity/parental leaves), •Generous time-off benefits (vacation and sick leave days), •Defined benefit pension plan with employer contribution, •Free access to Employee Assistance Program ( EAP ) and TelaDoc, •A variety of health and wellness benefits (to learn more, please visit: https://www.douglascollege.ca/about-douglas/campus-information/careers-douglas-college/total-compensation ), •Continuous professional development opportunities (e.g. PD funding, tuition waivers, free courses, free access to LinkedIn Learning courses, College-provided workshops, etc.), •Free access to the campus fitness centres, along with free daily fitness classes, and •Discounted rates on wireless phone plans, car rentals, and pet insurance.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Human Resources, the Director, Employee and Labour Relations provides strategic leadership, professional expertise, advice and direction related to employee and labour relations including collective agreement administration and negotiations. The Director oversees HR Advisory Services, including compensation and classification, and Labour Relations drives strategic initiatives that promote a strong employee-oriented culture in support of the College's Human Resources and Strategic Plans. The Director acts as a strategic advisor to the AVP Human Resources and College leadership on complex employee relations matters.Responsibilities
The Director, Employee and Labour Relations is accountable for the following:
• Develops and maintains strong partnerships with College leaders to understand departmental business and operating objectives and to identify areas of opportunity. Implements Human Resource interventions to meet short and longer-term strategies;
• Provides senior level advice and guidance to leaders on employee and labour relations matters. Ensures they are informed and prepared to administer the provisions of the collective agreements as well as human resources policies, practices and procedures;
• Oversees all labour relations activities, including collective agreement administration, grievance handling and arbitration processes to ensure consistency across the College. Develops and maintains positive working relationships with union representatives.
• Provides leadership with respect to collective bargaining processes. Conducts research and engages with stakeholders to understand operational and strategic bargaining priorities. Develops bargaining proposals in support of longer-term College goals.
• Leads contingency planning in the event of labour disruption, including the creation of essential service plans, and prepares the College to manage strike issues.
• Keeps abreast of contract language evolution, arbitral and legal decisions, legislation and regulations pertaining to Human Resources matters in the sector.
• Provides leadership on employee performance management and conduct matters as well as managing related risks.
• Leads or supports workplace investigations and provides advice on appropriate outcomes. When necessary, arranges the services of external investigators or mediators to resolve more complex or sensitive matters.
• Ensures effective compensation strategies, practices and systems are in place in accordance with collective agreements, legal practices, government guidelines and best practices;
• Provides leadership, direction and support to a team of human resources professionals through effective guidance, mentorship and team building. Hires, orients, supervises, evaluates and provides performance feedback to direct reports.
• Promotes an environment of collaboration and service excellence. Inspires, motivates and guides team members by fostering commitment, trust and providing support on complex or unique issues.
• Acts as a change agent to build awareness of new human resources processes and facilitates successful process, behaviour and cultural change. Develops and maintains an employee-oriented culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance;
• Ensures compliance with legislative requirements as they pertain to employee and labour relations as well as College policies.
• Provides input into the Human Resources budget and strategic plan. Contributes to the management of the department operating budget through cost-conscious decisions.
• Performs other related duties as required including backup for the Associate Vice President, Human Resources or other human resources leaders, as requested.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Established professional credibility as evidenced by a post-secondary degree in a related discipline, such as Human Resources, Law or Business Administration and a CPHR designation;
• A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible labour relations experience in a complex unionized environment, including five years in a managerial role. Public sector experience is preferred;
• A combination of education and experience may be considered;
• Excellent knowledge of current labour, employment and human rights law and related statutes and jurisprudence;
• Experience leading and conducting workplace investigations;
• Collaborative, people-centric approach to leadership and people development;
• Strong business acumen with a passion and commitment for business partnerships and service orientation;
• Superior written, presentation and oral communication skills;
• Ability to build relationships and influence at all organizational levels;
• Demonstrated skills in diplomacy, negotiation, conflict resolution and mediation;
• Exceptional organization skills and ability to work independently to deliver high quality work in a demanding environment with rapidly changing priorities. Demonstrated flexibility and capability to perform well in ambiguous situations;
• Solid project management skills including experience with developing, leading, implementing and evaluating the effectiveness of human resources projects and procedures;
• Demonstrated ability to model appropriate professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours consistent with the responsibilities of this position;
• Comfortable with technology including a working knowledge of MS Office products.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 06/12/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Special Instructions to Applicant
Should you be interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity, please visit https://boyden.thriveapp.ly/job/2043 and submit your application directly through Boyden.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/10913