The Live Services position is responsible for ensuring their service (a service our customers use to run their businesses) remains available, secure and performant. This role is required to administer, support, maintain and improve these products. Through the use of cutting edge technology, the Live Service Specialist ensures their services are designed and deployed to be best in class.
To do this the specialist works closely with product delivery teams by deploying, administering, monitoring and improving their service. This is a 24/7 operation that requires on call coverage from each specialist to problem solve any service incidents that may arise. Using guidance from Security, Architecture and Automation subject matter experts, the specialist builds and runs infrastructure, operational processes, 'infrastructure automation', improves development & operational capabilities (including: disaster recovery, high system availability, on-demand scalable solutions, infrastructure monitoring, continuous deployment capabilities.
We provide small and medium-sized organizations, and mid-market companies with a range of easy-to-use, secure and efficient business management software and services - from accounting, HR and payroll, to payments, enterprise resource planning and customer relationship management. Our customers receive continuous advice and support through our global network of local experts to help them solve their business problems, giving them the confidence to achieve their business ambitions. Formed in 1981, Sage was floated on the London Stock Exchange in 1989 and entered the FTSE 100 in 1999. Sage has millions of customers and circa 14,000 employees in 23 countries covering the UK & Ireland, mainland Europe, North America, South Africa, Australia, Asia and Brazil.
Responsibilities: Our Service Operations team e ncompasses a team of specialists who are responsible for the availability, performance and security of our online applications. To achieve this, you'll work closely with the development, test and commercial teams. We are involved in projects from the early design phase to ensure that the service is built to the highest level of resilience and security.
As a successful candidate, you will need to work with the product teams to design and agree a hosting architecture that promotes maintainability, scalability, security and keeps an eye on the costs too. During the implementation stages, you will be responsible for the timely delivery of the service and will lead the product teams whilst integrating our change and incident management processes.
We offer a proactive service to our internal stakeholders, and run ambitious service improvement plans that truly aim to put us at the forefront of the market. Of course, things can and do go wrong with our live services, and it will be your responsibility to analyzed the evidence and identify the root cause, mitigating it to prevent reoccurrence. You will need excellent problem solving skills, creativity and fantastic interpersonal skills.
Many of our services are on cloud platforms, enabling flexibility and scalability that is difficult to achieve in a traditionally hosted environment. Whilst cloud-computing experience is desirable, it is not a requirement, as the successful candidate will receive extensive training.
- Minimum 2 or more years of relative experience in systems administration and hosting services.
- Strong communication skills verbal and written with ability to build relationships and influence
- Familiarity with SDLC functional disciplines: QA, Development, design, etc.
- Clear customer focus and understanding how their actions directly impact the experience our customers receive
- Outstanding knowledge of modern Linux or Windows Server operating systems, preferably in an online, customer facing environment
- Expert knowledge of database design, replication and administration (MySQL, MSSQL & NoSQL all welcomed!)
- Task automation using scripting languages such as Perl, PowerShell or shell scripting to increase efficiency and reduce error in an online environment
- Extensive experience in cloud technologies (Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services or Force.com)
- Extensive experience in a support role, ideally to Tier 3, working in a customer facing, complex technical environment.