Development Officer - Planned and Major Giving
Knowledge Network, BC’s Public Broadcaster, is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Planned and Major Giving professional to continue the expansion of our Planned Giving program started in 2007, and to help grow our Major Giving program started in 2012.
The Knowledge Endowment Fund has been consistently growing and is now valued at over $20 million. Realized planned gifts this year alone will exceed $3 million. Our mid-level/major giving program brought in over $1.2 million last year and is well positioned for growth.
Our ideal candidate is someone with proven experience in the art and science of planned gift fundraising who excels at developing and maintaining lasting relationships, as well as budget co-ordination and project oversight. Estate administration is also a significant part of the role.
- Develops strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of planned and major giving prospects and donors; recommends policies, standards and procedures.
- Manages all estate administration matters, consulting with Senior Management as necessary.
- Gift entry/processing for planned gifts including bequests, current gifts, securities, insurance, trusts, RRSPs, TFSAs, foundation grants and other gift vehicles.
- Ensures planned and major gift donors are provided with appropriate recognition and stewardship through planning and implementation.
- Manages the mid-level giving program, identifying, cultivating and soliciting prospects who may be candidates for significant five figure gifts.
- Maintains information on activities, donors, and prospects using both paper files and Raiser’s Edge – our constituent relationship management system.
- Provides expertise with internal departments and with external professional advisors on various types of planned gift vehicles. Delivers regular status reports on revenue and expectancies to the Director of Development.
- Maintains current knowledge of best practices and evolving trends in philanthropy through professional networking and training.
- Post-secondary degree, ideally in fundraising, non-profit management or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in planned giving and/or major gift fundraising.
- Thorough knowledge of estate planning, including wills and trusts, as well as general knowledge of income, estate, and gift tax laws.
- Advanced administrative and computer skills specifically in MS Word and Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must-have. This includes the emotional intelligence and maturity to handle end-of-life stage conversations with sensitivity as well as a genuine desire to know the unique story behind each gift.
- Current membership in CAGP is an asset as is hands-on experience with Raiser’s Edge database.
- Keen desire to learn and develop skills.
In addition to the required skills, we are looking for someone who believes in the value of what we proudly offer as a free, commercial-free public broadcaster providing creative documentaries, arts and culture and children’s programs on television, web and mobile apps. Do you love what we do? Join our talented team and put your Knowledge to work.
Knowledge Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to respect and diversity in everything we do. We invite applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientation and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are a crown corporation, funded by an annual operating grant from the provincial government and through donations from over 47,000 Knowledge Partners. As such, we offer you:
- Stable employment with a secure, trusted employer
- Standard hours (8 hours/day; Monday-Friday) so you can enjoy your evenings and weekends
- Generous vacation (start at 4 weeks) plus 12 stats, so you can really enjoy paid time off
- 100% employer-paid dental, extended health, vision care for you and your family, plus life insurance and short-term disability insurance (long-term disability is employee-paid)
- An extremely generous defined benefit pension plan (BC Municipal Pension Plan)
- A competitive salary – starting in the mid-60’s and working your way up to $80K+ within 4 years
- Training and professional development opportunities to grow your skills
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, at the right time in your career, please send a letter stating why you are the right person for us, along with your resume by October 15th. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please let us know.