Seaspan's Vancouver Shipyard (VSY) is experiencing substantial growth which has created exceptional long term opportunities for skilled Designers to join the team.
The Detail Designer is responsible for 3D modeling and producing complete Manufacturing Information (MI) to support production at VSY.
The Detail Designer will ensure that Detail Design MI is generated and in accordance with the VSY Standards, Quality and VSY Engineering Processes. This role will be responsible for actively engaging in Model and MI Reviews. Incumbent will also be responsible for 3D modeling, production design, MI generation and implementation of lessons learned.
These responsibilities ensure that the goals and objectives of the Detail Design Department are accomplished within the prescribed plans, schedules and budgets.
This role requires interaction across various departments at multiple levels internally and externally. It will be common for the Detail Designer to be working and supporting functional engineering, detail design, planning, production and with suppliers. Communication skills, both written and verbal, need to be excellent. Duties/Accountabilities
Education and Required Experience
- 3D Modeling
- Prepare Manufacturing Information for all Stages of Construction
- Liaise with functional engineering to resolve all outstanding design issues
- Provide technical support and resolution for structural, outfitting and piping issues from design to fabrication
- Maintain stock catalogue with constant communication with procurement and material management.
- Develop and communicate the plan and budget for delivering the work on time, and manage the cost and resources
- Support production outputs to ensure the resulting work packages for manufacturing are in alignment with VSY standards and processes.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Associate Design degree or equivalent experience required.
- 2-5 years in-depth experience in Detailed Design in Manufacturing/Heavy Industries
- Knowledge of AutoCAD software and document control systems
- Preference for knowledge with ShipConstructor, NavisWorks and Aras
- Familiarity with National Shipbuilding Strategy program an asset
- Demonstrated effective communication across a variety of disciplines.
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Ability to work in ShipConstructor and AutoCAD software
- Demonstrated knowledge with Rhino, NavisWorks and SharePoint
- Organizational skills including the ability to maintain organization in a changing environment, multi-task and establish priorities
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Exercise sound judgements and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions and corporate philosophy
- Advanced PC and Network proficiency required - ability to troubleshoot network licenses, version control across all MSOffice
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades