The Detail Design Lead is responsible to lead a detail design team for any and all tasks delegated from the initial design to project completion.
The Detail Design Lead will support the Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) Zone Design Lead with the development of the 3D model, ensuring the correct VSY standards, formats, templates, stock catalogues and libraries are in use from project start. Duties/Accountabilities
Required Education and Required Experience
- Manages subcontracted CAD modeling efforts.
- Maintenance of the 3D model database will also part of the responsibilities to process the incoming and outgoing Workshare transfers, manage some 3D modeling and work with Information Technology to resolve any database issues that may arise throughout the process.
- Design of details, population of detailed bills of materials for procurement purposes, generation of production information for the manufacture and assemble of products throughout the block build, erection joints, zone outfitting and test and trials.
- Responsible for generation of Design Reports aimed at providing information on design effectiveness and application of the Design for Production Principles.
- Leads technical advice for all aspects of 3D modeling and drawing issuance.
- Drives pipe spool post processing effort in support of outsourcing efforts.
- Support modeling standards, naming conventions, drawing conventions and production outputs to ensure the resulting work packages for manufacturing are in alignment with VSY work center layout and block erection sequence.
- Work closely with the MRP Team to ensure IFS/Ship Constructor interfaces are captured in a timely manner and resolved cost effectively.
- Develops and/or orchestrates import of Catalog Data Base in support of Product Model Development.
- Development of a well-organized and efficient Bill of Material based on the thoughtful implementation for the Parts Coding System to support the MRP system and processes.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- A Bachelor's degree in Marine Engineering or equivalent.
- 5-8 years in-depth experience in Detailed Design in Shipbuilding
- 3-5 years ShipConstructor experience.
- Experience leading a Team of specialists.
- Demonstrated effective communication across a variety of cultures and disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical problems
- Above-average analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Demonstrated knowledge of ShipConstructor and AutoCAD software, document control systems and SQL database management.
- Advanced technical knowledge and marine engineering skills - cross-discipline expertise with design, production, piping, structure, nesting and 3D models
- Demonstrated knowledge with Rhino, NavisWorks and SharePoint
- Knowledge of financial accounting, purchasing and management systems including skills with MS Project, Primavera and IFS
- Above-average organizational skills including the ability to maintain organization in a changing environment, multi-task and establish priorities
- Understanding of Class requirements and IACS 44
- Availability and willingness for limited travel, with sufficient notice provided, to travel to such locations (typically includes VSY's design partners and software vendors) and with such frequency as the Employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs
- Commit to a high standard of safety and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules
- Above-average interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Exercise sound judgements and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions and corporate philosophy
- Advanced PC and Network proficiency required - ability to troubleshoot network licenses, version control across all MSOffice products and LISP programming
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades