This Demand Planner position is responsible for all forecasting activities associated with customers and our products. The Demand Planner creates and maintains forecast models aligned to our business growth strategy, product planning, and go to market demand initiatives, by incorporating business intelligence, marketplace/retail trends and forecast information gathered from Customers/Buyers, and our internal Sales and Fulfillment teams.
With key relationships in Category/Product Management, Marketing, and Finance, the Demand Planner is an integral coordination point that leads the dialogue each month for internal stakeholders that drive Supply Chain operations and Inventory objectives.
The Demand Planner role will also be to develop and recommend solutions, modelling tools, and strategies based on demand planning best practices that support Mustang’s business goals, and will provide business insight and analytical support to key stakeholders throughout the organization.
Key Result Areas:
- 1. Corporate Demand Planning Process
- Responsible for the monthly Sales & Operations Planning cycle.
- Complete predictive analysis, and interact with Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations, and Category/Product managers to understand and agreed on demand forecast, including existing products, and new product launches.
- Perform global forecast consolidation in support of production planning and purchasing activities
- Track the accuracy of key distributor/customer forecasts and coordinate monthly review meetings with the sales team. Identify and support actions for improvement in areas performing below expectations
- 2. Consumer Demand Analysis
- Review historical sales trends, research market trends and demand drivers, prepare forecast data, develop statistical forecast models, and evaluate forecast results.
- Communicate the impact of Consumer/Customer feedback, market/demographic trends, industry competitive analysis, and resulting demand plans for the organization.
- Utilize customer and market knowledge, and analytical tools to support Category/Product Managers in product assortment / product planning, and in sales initiatives.
- Perform analysis to break down aggregate level budgets and forecasts into their constituent categories, styles, colors, sizes and SKU’s
- Utilize customer and market knowledge and analytical tools to identify and monitor underperforming products.
- Support the Supply Chain Management and Senior Management teams through various reporting and analysis activities as needed
- 3. Demand Planning Models and Tools
- Own the ongoing maintenance and continuous improvement of demand and operational planning systems. Take initiative to identify and implement best-in-class processes and tools for forecasting, production scheduling, and buy plans creation (MRP)
- Provide input to the Supply Planning organization in developing inventory strategies on existing items, new products, and product phase-outs.
- Coordinate cross-functional research activities to reconcile significant variances and refine the forecast model to reflect updated sales and marketing assumptions
Required Education / Experience:
- More than five years of experience with demand planning in consumer retail and manufacturing environment. Experience in the apparel industry or consumer retail goods industry is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Economics or related disciplines. Specialization in finance, supply chain preferred (APICS certification desireable).
Key Job-Related Skills:
- Strong analytical, organizational, decision making, and presentation skills. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills are also essential to effectively interact with Customers and all internal teams, areas and levels of business affecting the forecast process. Good facilitation skills are required.
- Aptitude for numbers, analytics, and an ability to compile, interpret, and communicate market trends and resulting implications to the business.
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistics and demand planning / sales forecasting methods with an understanding of their financial and operational impacts.
- Background in sales, planning or Supply Chain an asset
- High degree of proficiency with MS Excel is required. Experience with planning software and algorithms, experience with MRP / ERP platforms. Microsoft Dynamics AX experience is an asset. Knowledge of MS Access, macros, and database report writing tools is a plus.
- Other key traits include: leadership, ethics, personal responsibility, attention to detail, active listening and learning, communication, critical thinking, analytical thinking, judgment and decision making, time management, presentation, and operations analysis.
Manufacturing and Production Retail Operations and Logistics