***Open to multiple locations: Vancouver/Seattle/Palo Alto/Remote***
Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the fastest growing AWS businesses, providing relational databases as a service. RDS is seeking talented database engineers who will innovate and engineer solutions in the area of database technology. This is not a DBA job where you manage databases. We're looking for DBAs with engineering experience to help us automate databases at scale.
We need individuals who are enthusiastic about applying bold new ideas to solving real-world customer problems and who are passionate about working with customers. Candidates must be able to translate customers' needs and use cases into technical innovation and robust engineering solutions on AWS.
The DBE team is actively engaged in the ongoing database engineering process, partnering with development groups and providing deep subject matter expertise input as stakeholders to design reviews, and as an advocate for bringing forward and resolving customer issues. In this role you act as the "Voice of the Customer" helping software engineers understand how customers use databases.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Deep knowledge and experience designing and maintaining relational databases including Oracle, MySQL, Postgres or SqlServer
• Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (EC2, EBS, S3, etc.).
• Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, clusters and troubleshooting.
• Storage engineering experience, including NAS, SAN, SSD, multi-pathing and caching.
• Experience building and maintaining complex mission-critical production database systems.
• Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability and scalability.
• Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
• Experience working directly with customers, resolving database, systems and infrastructure-related issues and also providing systems architecture leadership.
• Awareness of emerging technologies and approaches in IT
• Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths).
• Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl).
• Coding skills in the procedural language for at least one database engine a must (PL/SQL, T-SQL etc.).
• Proven track record of automating tasks.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Consulting experience is a plus.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Familiarity with at least one compiled language (Java, C, C++ )