PressReader is the “Netflix” of newspapers and magazines - we create the future of news. We partner with thousands of publishers from more than 120 countries to provide our subscribers with seamless access to all their favorite titles. As soon as they are available on the shelves - you can access them at PressReader.com and within native apps.
We have data storages in MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra and ClickHouse DBMSs . We are looking for a DBA expert to maintain and optimize data infrastructure, both in cloud (Azure, GCP) and using our on premise servers. The successfull candidate needs to be familiar with MS SQL and with at least one more from the list above and is expected to:
- Configure and maintain database instances for development and business critical production environments;
- Monitor their health and performance;
- Provide high availability solutions, both stable and scalable;
- Provide regular backups and restorability checking;
- Organize data migration, export and import if needed;
- Audit and optimize data schema, both existing and proposed for future implementation;
- Help developers to tune queries, manage indices and execution plans;
- Review stored procedures/views/triggers/jobs or other inside-database code made by others before deploying on production;
- Manage users, roles and privileges; implement best security practices;
- Assist in formalizing database usage policies;
- Manage and optimize our logging/monitoring solutions, including optimization of hardware resources;
- Participate in disaster recovery on critical production systems 24/7;
- Automate regular routine tasks
Our technology stack for data storage and transferring is:
- Ubuntu Linux, Windows Server 2016 instances in Azure & GCP;
- Ubuntu Linux, Windows Server 2016 as VM and host OS on our on-premise servers in datacenters in Canada and US;
- MS SQL 2014, 2016, 2017 (~20 TB of raw data);
- PostgreSQL 9, 10;
- Cassandra (DSE and Scylla);
- ElasticSearch both as standalone on-site search solution and as part of ELK stack;
- Kafka, RabbitMQ;
Experience with any of solutions in use is a plus.
Development environment and CI/CD stack may be discussed at request.
Desired skills for ideal candidate:
- MSc in Computer Science or related;
- 5+ years of experience in MS SQL Server administration;
- 1+ year of experience in administration of either PostgreSQL or Cassandra or Clickhouse;
- Familiarity with building HA solutions, fault-tolerant, storing huge amount of data and handling heavy load;
- Performance tuning, optimization and monitoring using standard utilities, 3rd party utilities or written manually as stored procedures or scripts in python/perl/bash/powershell/whatever;
- Expert knowledge of SQL, including dialects specific for particular DBMS;
- Hands-on experience with CLI, git as a user;
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written; mindset of a team player;
- Organized, tolerant to multi-tasking, planning ahead, capable of getting things done.
Our benefits package is extensive and covers you and your family. It includes:
- Extended Health Care with Dental and Vision Insurance;
- installments to the BC Provincial Medical Services Plan;
- long-term disability and AD&D insurance for the employee;
- 3 weeks paid vacation per year for start, followed by 4 weeks vacation after completion of 3 years of service
- up to 6 paid sick days per year;
- up to 5 paid bereavement days per year;
- salary advances in exceptional circumstances;
- reimbursements for professional training and membership in professional associations;
- gym membership.
This is a full time permanent role working 40 hours per week from our corporate office in Richmond, BC, Canada, with a salary range commensurate with experience.
Software and Programming Customer Service and Support Information Technology