Title: Data Analyst
Department: Institutional Research & Planning
Location: Comox Valley (CV)
Posting Type: Internal / External Posting
Position Status: Support Staff-Regular
Weekly Work Schedule: Monday to Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm
Workload: Fulltime (35 hours per week)
Pay Grade: l: $26.87 - $28.55
Under the direction of the Manager, Institutional Research & Planning, the Data Analyst provides routine and ad hoc statistical, written and verbal reports and summaries in support of college-wide decision-making and planning. Duties include planning, designing, maintaining and querying databases and other information systems; using statistical software to analyze data and produce reports; developing and maintaining reporting schedules; archiving and disseminating institutional reports, plans and documentation; archiving internal and external data series and sources; planning, designing and executing research projects, including surveys, environmental scans, statistical analyses and written reports; and, providing support to the Manager, Institutional Research and Planning. The Data Analyst is also responsible for providing reports and data required by the Ministry of Advanced Education, the Industry Training Authority and other external government and non-government agencies and organizations. The Data Analyst, is aware of the Mission and Values of North Island College, incorporating and practicing the values in their work.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. With limited supervision, extracts, prepares, analyzes and summarizes data/information to produce various statistical analyses for college-wide, departmental, campus and unit informational needs.
2. Collects, analyzes and disseminates data/information on past and emerging internal and external trends relevant to the College.
3. Maintains an archive of educationally related statistical reports and demographic/socio-economic reports, and prepares summaries and analyses as required using appropriate tools and research methodologies.
4. Develops, maintains and enhances college management information systems by designing and programming analytical reporting systems including integration of data from numerous, complex data sources.
5. Audits college databases by crosschecking and verifying of data elements to ensure data quality and integrity.
6. Prepares biannual data submissions to the Ministry of Advanced Education's Central Data Warehouse.
7. Plans, designs and executes research projects as required by the College administration, including surveys, environmental scans, statistical analyses and written reports.
8. Prepares and archives reports and data to meet Ministry of Advanced Education, Industry Training Authority and other government institutional performance and accountability reporting requirements, and prepares and archives various reports in response to approved requests from other external government and non-government agencies and organizations.
9. Provides support to the strategic plan, Board of Governors, marketing and recruitment, and internal planning and review initiatives.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Institutional Research and Planning.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Excellent time and project management skills with the ability to work under pressure while planning and prioritizing tasks to efficiently meet deadlines.
2. Ability to work independently, including independent upgrading of training, skills and knowledge as technologies and requirements change.
3. Ability to demonstrate effective team behaviors such as active listening, collaboration, balanced participation, diplomacy and contributing to shared team goals.
4. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
5. Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities with attention to detail.
6. Ability to extract, manipulate and analyze complex data.
7. Sound numeracy skills with emphasis on accuracy.
8. Effective writing and presentation skills, including relevant software (Microsoft Word).
9. Knowledge of student information systems is preferred.
10. Knowledge of the B.C. post-secondary education system is preferred.
* Applicants should be prepared for testing
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.
Posting Date: 10-12-2016
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Copy of Transcript(s)
Pass Message: Thank you for your interest in this position. Please apply online at http://www.nic.bc.ca. The screening and selection process is currently underway and will continue until a successful candidate is chosen. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted.
Connect with employer:
About North Island College
North Island College provides high quality, affordable higher education and skills training in a spectacular west-coast setting. We strive to inspire and prepare students for success in a rapidly c...