Cytotechnologist II Lower Mainland Labs, St Paul's Hospital Vancouver, BC Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021. What you'll do
What you bring
- Screen cytology cases through microscopic examination by assessing and evaluating non-gynecological specimens in the negative, mildly atypical, atypical, and benign atypical ranges, and independently sign out results following established protocols. Perform miscellaneous cytology processes such as staining and mounting of specimens, and preparing slides, filters, cell blocks, and Cytospins. Notify supervisor when supplies need to be replenished.
- Perform rapid staining and screening on specimens as directed by the Cytopathologist or Cytology Supervisor. May attend radiologically guided fine needle aspiration biopsies and/or percutaneous thyroid needle aspirations. Receive, process, and store laboratory specimens for analysis, according to established procedures.
- File results in a timely manner to provide patient/resident reports to physicians and other associated health care professionals. Recognize abnormal results, and follow up effectively, according to established procedures.
- Enter and retrieve data using the Laboratory Information System, including patient demographics and test results, and answer inquiries about test results from hospital staff and physicians.
- Follow established quality control guidelines, perform quality control procedures and record results.
- Graduation from a recognized program for Cytotechnologists and Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) Certified.
- Two (2) years' recent related experience working in miscellaneous cytology, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will also have:
What we bring
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and deal effectively with, patients/residents, families, staff, physicians, research staff, and other health care providers.
- Current knowledge of relevant laboratory testing, techniques, methods and procedures.
- Ability to apply knowledge to the performance of technical analyses and related procedures.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures related to laboratory technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Regular, Part-Time (FTE 0.60) $32.07 to $40.10 per hour 1081 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Rotating Schedule; 0630-1430/0700-1500/0730-1530/0800-1600/0830-1630/0900-1700 Requisition Number: 113494 What we do
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
LM Labs is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting has expired
, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.