We're looking for a corporate commercial lawyer to join our in-house Corporate/Commercial legal services team on a temporary basis to provide strategic advice and legal solutions to a variety of internal clients. As a member of our team, you'll provide high quality, confidential, timely, and cost effective legal advice on corporate/commercial, procurement, privacy, and other matters. As a confidential advisor to management, you'll be responsible for protecting WorkSafeBC and the Board of Directors from legal risk and you'll provide legal advice to support the effective delivery of WorkSafeBC services and programs.
Consider joining this strong, committed team who value hard work but prioritize a healthy lifestyle with a strong focus on work life balance. Our team's values reflect those of the organization, whose mandate is to improve health and safety of workplaces across the province.
This position is approximately 12 months in length. What you'll do As a corporate counsel, you will be involved in a wide variety of in-house corporate/commercial legal matters. Your responsibilities will include:
Is this a good fit for you? We're looking for someone who can:
- Providing strategic advice to internal business groups in the development of new initiatives, including identifying legal issues and risks
- Providing confidential advice to support governance activities
- Identifying and assessing actual and potential legal risks to WorkSafeBC, including liaising with management to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and options for mitigating risk
- Advising internal clients on all phases of the procurement process, including providing strategic legal advice on compliance with procurement law, drafting and advising contract requirements, and contract/vendor management
- Negotiating agreements on behalf of WorkSafeBC with external parties and their legal counsel, and advise on and participate in stakeholder engagement planning and activities related to service providers
Your experience and educational background:
- Bring a client-focused, service-oriented approach to providing services to internal clients
- Provide effective leadership, motivation, and direction by translating strategic plans into clear actionable goals
- Demonstrates exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate complex policy
- A law degree and member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia
- A minimum of four years of recent, related experience as a practicing lawyer with in-depth knowledge of corporate commercial law ideally with a focus on construction law and/or real estate.
* WorkSafeBC is currently operating in a primarily virtual/remote environment. The successful candidate must be able to work from home, with the possibility of some in-office work at WorkSafeBC's Richmond office location following the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application. Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across B.C. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.