Our law firm client is recognized as a leader in construction and infrastructure, real estate, corporate commercial law, insurance, and commercial litigation, and provides a wide range of legal services.
THE ROLE OVERVIEW
They are seeking experienced Corporate Commercial Paralegals to join their collegial, supportive and dynamic team. The ideal candidate(s) is a highly motivated, intermediate legal professional that thrives on work that is both interesting and complex within a solicitor’s practice. The incumbent(s) will be responsible for assisting the corporate commercial practice group in all aspects of its busy practice including assisting with mergers and acquisitions, ensuring documents are compliant with applicable legislation, organizing small transactions and overseeing the execution of all documents and performs due diligence where necessary.
- Assists with incorporations and management/maintenance of corporate clients and any changes.
- Prepares documentation related to incorporation, amalgamation, extra-provincial registration, re-organizations, acquisitions, continuation, estate freezes, formation of partnerships, dissolution, etc.
- Ensures documents comply with the applicable legislation (e.g. BCBCA, CBCA) and resolves any deficiencies.
- Ensures all key details from minute books are entered into the corporate database, in accordance with corporate department procedures.
- Performs due diligence of minute books by identifying deficiencies and material matters; prepares reports recommending manner of rectifying deficiencies and prepares necessary documents required to comply with governing statutes and rectifying any deficiencies.
- Prepares documents with and without firm precedents according to instructions and information provided by the Supervising Lawyer and information gathered through own research (examples include resolutions, minutes, and correspondence).
KEY QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Paralegal Diploma/Certificate plus a minimum of 3-5+ years’ experience as a Corporate Services Paralegal or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- Working knowledge of laws/legislation relevant to the practice area, including British Columbia Business Corporations Act (BCBCA), Canada Business Corporations Act (CBCA), Income Tax Act (Canada); and other relevant business organization statutes, legal terminology, forms and documents related to the corporate practice area.
- Understanding of legal procedures and practices involved in drafting, processing and filing a variety of legal documents.
- Solid understanding of applicable legal references and their content.
- Advanced vocabulary, spelling, and grammar; excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate clearly using discretion, tact, and courtesy.
- Proficiency with computer programs including advanced MS Word, Excel, Corporate Records software and other relevant programs.
- Knowledge and proficiency in ALF.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, and manage multiple tasks ensuring deadlines are met.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and exercise judgement.
- Willingness to learn and accept challenges with dedication to providing quality services.
- Flexibility to work extra hours when required.