Position Title Contract Faculty - Ethnomusicology Posting Number 00559F Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level In accordance with the current Collective Agreement Salary Range Hourly: $50.88-$111.31/hour. Per Three Credit Course: $7,716. Actual salary or hourly rate will be based on the number of credits and term of appointment according to the Collective Agreement. Position Type Faculty - Contract Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Contract Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Faculty Start Date 01/02/2024 End Date Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
The Department of Arts, Theatre, and Stagecraft in the Faculty of Language, Literature and Performing Arts is seeking to expand its list of contract instructors qualified to teach introductory open-enrolment as well as music program-specific courses in ethnomusicology.
We are currently seeking to hire a contract instructor to teach PEFA 3236 World Music in the Winter 2024 semester. The course is scheduled to take place at the New Westminster campus on Fridays 1030-1320.
The successful candidate may also be qualified to teach one or more of the following courses:
PEFA 1136 Introduction to Music
PEFA 3136 History of Popular Music
Applicants may also indicate a desire to be considered qualified to teach courses in the Music Technology Diploma program:
PEFA 1239 Career Development for Musicians II
PEFA 2139 Career Development for Musicians III
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Contract Faculty - EthnomusicologyResponsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- teach music courses to music students as well as students in open-enrolment programs taking arts electives
- plan, organize, and manage learning activities, and maintain quality learner-centred instruction;
- engage with local musicians to create an inclusive and diverse musical experience in the classroom
- assess and evaluate students' progress and achievement;
- maintain currency in the field through professional development activity; and
- hold regular office hours for students.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- an advanced degree in ethnomusicology or related field (Doctorate preferred, minimum Master's Degree);
- a record of successful teaching at the post-secondary level;
- a demonstrated ability to work with a population of diverse learners;
- strong connections with diasporic music communities in the region;
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- demonstrated initiative, creativity, and self-directedness;
- awareness of Indigenization and Reconciliation practices in post-secondary institutions and/or performing arts pedagogy;
- evidence of ongoing professional development.
Link to Full Position Profile Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 10/19/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online. Please ensure your cover letter clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the courses for which you wish to be considered.
Applicants should ensure that their material is submitted by November 6, 2023. We anticipate holding interviews no later than mid-November.
Applicants are encouraged to review the departmental course offerings and highlight any related teaching experience in their application. All candidates selected for interview will need to provide original sealed transcripts for educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11468
Education and Training