Position Title Contract Faculty - English Upgrading (ENGU) Posting Number 00196F Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level In accordance with the current Collective Agreement Salary Range In accordance with the current Collective Agreement Position Type Faculty - Contract Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Contract Employment Type Part Time Posting Category Faculty Start Date 01/06/2020 End Date 04/17/2020 Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
The English Upgrading Department in the Faculty of Language, Literature, and Performing Arts is currently seeking to expand its list of contract instructors qualified to teach all of the following courses: Literacy-level (100-level), Fundamental-level (200-level), Intermediate-level (300-level) and Advanced-level (400-level) Reading and Writing. Candidates with experience in Literacy-level instruction will be given first consideration.
It is important to note that this is not an English as a Second Language ( ESL ) position.
We anticipate contract work beginning Winter 2020.
Workload is assigned each year based on available sections.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Contract Instructor - English Upgrading DepartmentResponsibilities
As a contract instructor in the English Upgrading Department, you will
- develop course outlines following curriculum guidelines,
- select appropriate textbooks and create teaching materials,
- deliver quality learner-centred instructions
- design assignments and assessment criteria,
- evaluate student progress,
- hold regular office hours, and
- maintain currency in the field.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Successful candidates will:
- possess a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree; Master's or equivalent experience is desirable; Degree in a discipline that requires academic essay writing is an asset
- provide a detailed record of relevant experience in adult education, with a focus on literacy and academic preparation (non- ESL ),
- have experience teaching students with a wide range of learning needs and accommodations,
- have an awareness and understanding of student social and cultural diversity,
- have demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team, excellent communication skills, and ability to work well with others.
- A recognized teaching credential is an asset
- experience in community-based literacy programs is an asset
Link to Full Position Profile Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 09/18/2019 Close Date 10/01/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please ensure that a detailed Resume and Cover Letter are submitted online by October 2, 2019.
First review date will be October 8, 2019, and we anticipate beginning interviews mid-October 2019.
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
All candidates selected for interview will need to provide original sealed transcripts for educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/5141
Education and Training