CONCURRENT DISORDER COUNSELLOR
Locations: Alouette Correctional Centre, Maple Ridge, Fraser Regional Correctional Centre, Maple Ridge, North Fraser Pretrial Centre, Port Coquitlam, Surrey Pretrial Services Centre, Surrey, Ford Mountain Correctional Centre, ChilliwackAre you a compassionate and effective counsellor? Join us and improve the well-being of patients with challenging co-occurring substance use and mental health.What you'll do
What you bring
- As part of an inter-professional health care team, plan, implement and assess individualized client treatment programs using a trauma-informed framework and culturally safe methods.
- Conduct group counselling and psycho-educational sessions.
- Enroll patients in support programs.
- Monitor systems to ensure client, staff, family and general public safety and take action as necessary.
- Participate in the orientation and continuing education of counselling and health care professionals and students. Contribute information in rounds, committees and staff meetings.
- Maintain accurate client files, referral and assessment forms. Prepare discharge summaries.
- Meet regularly with the Health Care Manager to discuss program development/changes, program needs, and specific client concerns. Participate in program measurement, planning, and evaluation. Represent the Forensic Regional Clinics in the community through committee participation and public education.
- Participate in collegial support, practicum student supervision and consultation. Maintain knowledge of current related developments in substance use and mental health issues.
- A Master's Degree in an allied health discipline (counselling and/or social work).
- Three (3) years' of recent related clinical experience, including at least one (1) year of experience in a concurrent disorder program providing therapeutic individual and group counselling.
- Registration with a recognized professional body.
You have demonstrated abilities to:
- Teach and coach clients.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing and interpersonally and for public relations.
- Establish rapport with multi-barrier clients.
- Collaborate on program evaluation.
- Work well as a member of an inter-professional team or independently.
- Adjust to new or unexpected events, problem solve, establish priorities, and deal effectively with conflict.
You have broad knowledge of:
- Social work theory, Forensic Psychiatric Social Work practice and BCCSW professional practice standards.
What's in it for you
- Other facilities and community resources.
- Other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Bill C30 and the provincial court system.
- Psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Wage: $34.26 to $42.73
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) bcmhsus.ca cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges. BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ). PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Labor Agreement Health Science Professionals Requisition # CDC_2332119 Work Site Job Type Casual, Part-Time Salary/Rate $34.26 - $42.73 / Hour FTE 0.01 Hours of Work Work Days Expiry Date