Position Title Communications Officer Posting Number 00875SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level S - Pay Level 14 Salary Range $48,498 annually (with wage increments to a max of $54,515 annually). Salary and wage increments are in accordance with the Collective Agreement. Position Type Support Staff - Temporary Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Staff Start Date 08/10/2020 End Date 03/31/2021 Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift N/A Work Arrangements
This temporary full-time (35 hours per week) position is available for the period from August 10, 2020 to March 31, 2021. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Occasional work arrangements at our Coquitlam campus may be required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Communications, the Communications Officer is responsible for the overall creation, management, implementation and supervision of communication activities in the Research & Innovation Office in collaboration with campus partners. The position coordinates internal communications to engage students and contribute to Douglas College's vibrant reputation and its leadership position within British Columbia post-secondary institutions. The Officer assists with the development of annual, long-term, or project-based communications plans that align with independent unit goals, and supports the Douglas College Strategic Plan.Responsibilities
1. Administers strategic communications
a. Creates and administers strategic communication plans for specified area of the College.
b. Leads all communications related activities in specified area of the College.
c. Manages implementation of department-based and project-based communication plans.
d. Collaborates with Associate Director, Communications and campus colleagues on college-wide communication projects to define project communication objectives; identify stakeholders, strategies, tactics and timelines; and evaluation.
e. Actively seeks partnerships and develops relationships with other campus areas and groups to identify and leverage opportunities for collaborative communication that supports Douglas College's reputation.
f. Prepares communication analysis reports from a variety of sources (e.g. social media analytics, surveys, Google analytics) to determine the effectiveness of communication plans and makes recommendations for future improvements.
2. Creates dynamic content
a. Generates and posts dynamic original content, from a variety of sources (College stakeholders, blogs, web, etc.) to social media, college website, digital signage, blog, DC Connect, the app, CRM , and other communication tools.
b. Organizes, prioritizes and schedules content distribution on social media, digital signage, blog, and other communication tools.
c. Ensures accuracy of content by coordinating workflow and collaborating with members of project teams, including external content contributors, employees, students and others.
d. Researches, organizes information and performs interviews for internal and external communications including: informational copy, promotional copy, marketing copy, College annual/community report, special bulletins, speeches, video scripts, etc.
e. Provides substantive editing, copy-editing and proofreading services for material written by other College employees.
3. Monitors, recommends and communicates on appropriate tools
a. Protects Douglas College's reputation by monitoring social networks and independently responding to conversations about Douglas College and advises the Manager about items that may adversely affect the College.
b. Maintains high-level of knowledge and keeps apprised of changes to institutional communication tools in order to use the tools effectively including digital signage functionality and Moxie software manager, app manager, SiteCore website manager, Bonzai SharePoint overlay, Microsoft CRM software, ClickDimensions, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat and others.
c. Approves usage and provides recommendations of digital signage, Douglas College app, social media accounts, and other tools.
d. Educates campus colleagues about traditional, non-traditional and emergent communication channels, and recommends appropriate communication tools to promote programs, courses, and events.
e. Maintains a comprehensive list of communication channels and tools available to Douglas College employees.
4. Coordinates media relations activities
a. Coordinates media relations outreach for College and college-wide projects including project-specific media relations plans, pitch lists (for traditional and non-traditional outlets), sourcing spokespeople and pitching media.
b. Develops media training materials (e.g. interview questions, briefing notes, etc.) for College spokespeople including president and senior management team, and participates in training with the Manager, Communications.
c. Plans, researches, writes, edits and distributes media releases, media advisories, and media kits on College programs, services, issues and special events.
d. Researches and maintains print and electronic media contact list.
e. Communicates with media reporters and editors.
f. Maintains newspaper clipping archive.
g. Analyzes and evaluates media coverage.
5. Supervisory duties
a. Hires and evaluates student staff including providing orientation and ensuring the provision of appropriate training and professional development;
b. Initiates and processes appropriate personnel, payroll, accounting and purchasing documentation.
c. Supervises the daily operation of positions under his/her authority; provides input into staff job descriptions;
d. Approves staff work schedules and time sheets;
e. Ensures adequate coverage for areas that fall within the scope of responsibility, while accounting for existing budget parameters.
f. Develops and administers operating budgets for area-specific communication activities and special events;
6. Performs other duties
a. Assists the Manager of the department when requested
b. Represents the department at internal and external meetings, as requested.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. Completion of a two-year diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a relevant field such as journalism, communications, marketing; or commensurate experience (degree preferred).
2. Three years' experience working in the communications field including writing for audience and channel, communications plan development, traditional and online media relations and project coordination.
3. Experience in conceptualizing, planning and developing a wide variety of communications projects and content features, including interactive elements.
4. Three years' experience working with student groups at the post-secondary level. Experience hiring, supervising/leading, developing and facilitating student groups considered an asset.
5. Ability to nurture and develop student leadership potential and create a successful student-centred environment.
6. Demonstrated ability to contribute in defining and refining a campus culture that provides opportunities for involvement, personal and professional growth for individuals and for student-driven organizations.
7. Proven, solid grasp of communication and marketing fundamentals and tactics.
8. Demonstrated high proficiency in copywriting for print and electronic, including excellent control of style variations for different media formats, and tone for different audiences.
9. Proficient editing and proofreading skills, including excellent command of English grammar and punctuation, and a commitment to clear and accurate presentation of material.
10. Proven experience in social media management across multiple platforms including content plan development, content generation and distribution; reputation management; client relationship management; and use of social media management tools.
11. Technological savvy - up-to-date with digital trends and developments, social media analytics, social listening and networking, and mobile marketing.
12. Working knowledge of digital photography: ability to take publication-quality photographs in a variety of settings with a digital SLR .
13. Understanding of office procedures as well as standard office software such as MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
14. Self-motivated, self-directed and assertive; ability to work under minimal supervision.
15. Willingness and ability to investigate and identify stories and news from across the College.
16. Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information.
17. Demonstrated ability to initiate collaboration and work effectively as an integral member of a communications team; adaptable to change with a strong customer service focus.
18. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 07/16/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. ALL INTERNAL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 23, 2020. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/6221
Administrative Operations and Logistics