Surrey, Vancouver - GVA (BC) Job Type:
Full Time myWork Options:
In-person & Hybrid What's the job?
The Collections Officer is responsible for effectively controlling delinquency and minimizing potential losses to Coast Capital Savings (CCS). They are to exercise sound judgment in balancing risk the with probability of recovery. The incumbent is responsible for collecting past due arrears payments and assisting with the restructuring of amendments. They are responsible for identifying and reporting possible fraudulent accounts. The incumbent is required to assess and request repossession and handle the organizing of transport, remarketing and sale of the asset. Make recommendations for changes to policy and procedures, assisting What you'll get to do:
• Administer bank drafts and wire payments, retail auto and equipment loan insurance claims, payment suspensions or deferrals.
• Collect and review delinquency of all retail auto & equipment leasing, 3rd party collections and suspicious activity.
• Receive and review bankruptcy documents and other related documents from debtor assistance programs. Prepare and file relative forms.
• Make recommendations to the Manager with respect to the appropriateness and effectiveness of existing policies and procedures. Assist with research and development for recommended changes to policy and procedures for CCS.
• Must be current on industry trends and current fraud trends in the marketplace in order to mitigate CCS risk when collecting on delinquent and fraud accounts.
• On bankruptcy documents received from Trustees, assess documentation and plan next course of action with Collections Manager
• Investigate early defaults and suspicious activity identifying fraudulent transactions such as closed accounts & first payment defaults. Work closely with Corporate Security in the investigation, follow up and ultimate recovery of potential fraud losses.
• Initiate collection action on retail auto & equipment delinquency over 35 days past due in accordance with established collection policies, procedures and time constraints.
• Locate and contact individuals by telephone, email and by letter to discuss and establish repayment options.
• Accurately document all telephone calls using standard abbreviations or memos, as appropriate in the collection system.
• Verify and update customer information and maintain customer records in the collection system
• Prepare and recommend payment amendments and coordinate the relative reporting.
• Issue appropriate notices and coordinate the preparation of documents required for seizure.
• Coordinating the recovery of assets.
• Accurately document the status of all impaired accounts prior to month end.
• Assist in the analysis of assessments of security valuations.
• Confirm CCS has valid security priority.
• Administer the follow-up on sales proceeds to assure received in a timely manner.
• Maintain regular contact and reciprocal relationships on behalf of the Credit Union with various outside agencies (i.e. collection agencies, law firms, bankruptcy trustees, bailiffs, marketers etc.)
• Build relationships/rapport with remarketing sources to assist in asset valuations and the selling of repossessed vehicles and equipment in an attempt to reduce our loss.
• Performance Objectives (30-day delinquency less than 2%, Portfolio losses less than 0.5% of Net Book Value).
• Work closely with Credit Analysts and other staff to restructure deals or find solutions to problem accounts in order to promote the CCS philosophy of "How Can We Help You?" while being mindful of maintaining good risk practices.
• Collaboratively cross-share collection knowledge and experience to team members. Who are we looking for?
• Minimum 4 - 6 Years of Job-Related Experience
• High School Diploma plus some additional post-secondary courses.
• Proficiency in Word, Excel spreadsheets, and Internet searches
• Must have the computer skills required to quickly learn Ritchie Bros., Canadian Black Book, & Machinery Trader
• Organization of workflow, attention to detail and timeliness, and telephone etiquette.
At Coast Capital, we value diversity, equity and inclusion. We're not all the same and we like it that way. We don't just accept differences - we celebrate, support, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our members, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Why join Coast Capital? Purpose is our North Star.
We look at everything through our purpose. It informs the advice we provide our members, the experiences and products we create, and the programs we build to support our employees and communities. Committed to inclusion and engagement.
We have an ongoing focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion and routinely track how we're doing, and what we need to do to keep improving. We foster a culture where everyone can feel safe to be who they really are and thrive. A career that grows with you.
We believe in developing our people and promoting from within. Many employees have spent decades, and sometimes their entire careers, with Coast Capital and have progressed from the frontlines to senior leadership. Work where you're most effective.
In 2020 the world changed, and that includes how we work. In response to COVID-19 we launched myWork, which gives employees flexibility in where they work based on the nature of their role. Benefits that flex to the needs of you and your family.
We offer comprehensive, customizable benefits for you and your family, so you can choose what fits best for you and your lifestyle. Retirement options.
We also take care of our employees once they retire. That's why we offer the choice of a defined contribution or defined benefit pension plan or RSP's. Mortgage and auto financing benefits.
Employees save thousands on their mortgages and auto loans with best-in-category benefits. Real recognition.
We recognize excellence throughout the year, through an online community that lets employees give kudos and thanks throughout the year. We're human, which means we like to have fun with events, celebrations, and recognition throughout the year. An award winning culture.
We're a Platinum member of Canada's Best Managed Companies and are regularly recognized by Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures and the BC Top Employers Awards. We reinvest 10% back into the community.
When we do well, our communities do well. That's why since 2000 we've invested over $90 million into our member's communities. Double your impact.
Through our employee volunteer program, Coast Capital donates $10 for every hour you volunteer to a Canadian charity or non-profit of your choice.Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Coast Capital
At Coast Capital, we value diversity, equity and inclusion. We're not all the same and we like it that way. We don't just accept differences - we celebrate, support, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our members, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.COVID-19 at Coast Capital
Coast Capital Savings is committed to the health and safety of our employees, member, and communities. With this commitment in mind, Coast Capital complies with all public health mandates (provincially and/or federally, as applicable) and has implemented various safety measures, including requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and making COVID vaccination a pre-condition to employment with Coast Capital. All successful applicants must provide acceptable evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19, before any contract of employment becomes final and binding, and before your start date can be set.
Exceptions may apply where vaccination is not possible for medical or religious reasons that are protected under Canadian human rights laws. Should successful applicants require a medical or religious accommodation related to vaccination please discuss whether an exception may apply with your Talent Acquisition Advisor.