Hetzner South Africa is looking for an engineer who is passionate about Linux and cloud technology to contribute to our forward thinking infrastructure engineering efforts. We are off to a good start, but there’s still plenty to be done with loads of scope for a talented and creative technology geek to find a great sense of purpose and growth.
Software and infrastructure development is key to our success and so this role presents an opportunity to be instrumental in accelerating that shared goal and collective journey at Hetzner. The successful applicant will be able to work from a new office located within British Columbia.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with diverse tech teams to design and support operational infrastructure
- Scale, evolve and support private cloud infrastructure and networked storage (OpenStack and Ceph)
- Aggressively migrate workloads into both public and private clouds
- Extend monitoring strategy for deployed applications and operational infrastructure
- Quickly identify, troubleshoot and solve technical issues
- Collaborate with developers to produce world class developer tooling
- Be available for on-call support
The successful applicant:
- Is comfortable with the realisation that the best solution might not be the one you want the most
- Gets the false economy of interim solutions
- Accepts that not everything can be gold plated
- Is able to say the words "I don't know" and “I messed up” and have said both at least once
- Learns rapidly and independently
- Has a solid grasp of the trade offs inherent in highly available applications
- Loves being able to be themselves at work
- Understands how a framework can and/or will be a "straitjacket"
- Knows how not to lose precious data to solar flares or bit rot
Qualification and Experience needed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Passionate about at least one automation tool (eg. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Terraform)
- Experience with multiple Linux distributions (RHEL based, Debian based, etc)
- Great understanding of the network stack (especially L2 and L3 technologies)
- Knowledgeable of and able to convincingly argue for security best practices
As part of the screening process, applicants will be asked to complete an online technical assessment, which may result in an interview invitation.
Posted: September 26, 2016
Closes:November 25, 2016