CLK ST 12R - Legal Assistant Position Classification
Clerk Stenographer R12 Union
GEU Work Options
Smithers, BC V0J 2N0 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$52,803.18 - $59,607.79 annually, plus $36.53 bi-weekly isolation allowance for Smithers. Close Date
2/28/2024 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Attorney General Ministry Branch / Division
BC Prosecution Service Job Summary Take the next step in your administrative career
Crown Counsel is entrusted with the prosecution of offences and appeals in British Columbia under the Criminal Code of Canada, the Youth Criminal Justice Act, and provincial regulatory offences. Crown Counsel provide advice to government and police on criminal law matters and develop policies and procedures on issues relating to the prosecution of criminal offences in British Columbia. The responsibilities of Crown Counsel are defined in the Crown Counsel Act and are guided by the policies of the BC Prosecution Service; Crown Counsel are ultimately accountable to the Assistant Deputy Attorney General (ADAG). Under the Act, the ADAG is head of the BC Prosecution Service and is responsible for the administration of the day-to-day operations of the prosecution service.
Legal Assistants are responsible for providing support to Crown Counsel on prosecution case files in preparation for court proceedings. This position is responsible for performing a variety of legal services under the supervision of Crown Counsel and the Office Manager. The work is carried out in a high-profile and fast-paced office in which flexibility, teamwork, tact, diplomacy, communication and organization are essential for the efficient, accurate, successful and timely completion of responsibilities. The accountabilities of a Legal Assistant may vary depending upon the location (i.e. large urban office or smaller more remote office) as well as the specialized function of the Crown Counsel office (i.e. Criminal Appeals and Special Prosecutions - CASP).NOW HIRING:
Legal Administrative Professional Roles at BC Prosecution Service Job Requirements:
Administrative experience, including:
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent.
- Successful completion of a recognized Legal Assistant certificateORan equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
- Office experience working in a confidential capacity.
- Experience typing, drafting, formatting, proofreading and editing a variety of documents.
- Experience developing and maintaining administrative systems, procedures and standards.
- Successful completion of a Legal Assistant or Paralegal certificate or equivalent.
- At least 1 year of recent experience (within the last 3 years) working as a Legal Assistant in a legal office.
- Recent experience (within the last 3 years) working for the BC Prosecution Service.
- Experience working in the criminal justice sector.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Carrie.Vilac@gov.bc.ca
.About this Position:
This position is eligible for abi-weekly isolation allowance of $36.53.
An eligibility list may be established to fill future temporary and permanent vacancies.
Flexible work options are available;this position may be able to work up to 3 days at home per week as per the Telework Agreement.
Employees of the BC Public Service must be located in BC at the time of employment.
Smithers is filled with activities like fishing, boating, camping, hiking, skiing, and shopping. The Wet'suwet'en people are very close with the community, and have introduced many traditions. This quaint town with a friendly atmosphere is a wonderful place to live and visit.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
or 778-405-3452.How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above.Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES
- You will need to complete a basic questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:.
Enhanced Security Screening will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Administrative Services, Court and Judicial Services
Administrative Maintenance and Technicians