The Clerk IV, Accounts Payable prepares invoices for payment through methods such as reviewing vendor invoices, purchase orders, expense claims, travel advances and prepaid expense requests for accuracy, determining Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) payable and applying the appropriate rebates. The Clerk IV keeps vendor accounts up-to-date by following up on any outstanding invoices, credits or internal documents. Prepares period-end and year-end accruals and responds to internal and external queries related to vendor accounts, employee expense claims and disbursement related queries.
1. Assembles invoices and expense reports into batches, enters invoices, expense reports and cheque requisitions into computerized financial system and balances dollar amount totals to control totals listed in the reports generated by the system. Traces reasons for discrepancies to ensure payable amounts entered in the system are correct and updates discrepancies if needed.
2. Prepares invoices for cheque, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or P-Card payments by performing duties such as:
• Matching invoices (manually and electronically) to purchase orders, receiving reports (manually and electronically) and related documents, following up with respective departments and/or vendors to gather/obtain missing documentation/information.
• Ensuring adequate approval for all non-purchase order related invoices and expense claims as established by signing authority guidelines and circulating documents to appropriate signing officers to obtain relevant coding and approval for processing invoices and expense claims.
• Checking extensions on manually written invoices/expense claims.
• Determining when items are zero rated or fully taxable and when they are subject to rebates or input tax credits by applying applicable tax legislation; determines level of rebate for each item.
• Reviewing the appropriateness of account coding to invoices and assigns revised coding if necessary.
3. Identifies invoice and purchase order discrepancies through methods such as reviewing error reports. Traces reasons for discrepancies, prepares adjustment information such as journal entries and debit and credit vouchers to rectify discrepancies. Notifies discrepancies to Supervisor, Accounts Payable for sign-off and approval.
4. Follow-ups with various departments and vendors regarding disputed vendor accounts, pricing problems, unmatched documents and missing or incorrect receipts/back-up documents. Contacts appropriate department, staff and vendor to rectify accounts, statements and discrepancies. Drafts communication by e-mail or fax to resolve issues.
5. Responds to queries (by phone, e-mail and fax) from vendors, staff and departments regarding payment of invoices, travel expenses, assignment of taxes payable and application rebates or input tax credits and other related queries.
6. Creates and edits recurring vouchers for payment.
7. Reconciles vendor accounts and statements. Follows-up with vendors to resolve invoicing issues pertaining to charges to incorrect health authorities.
8. Forwards all back up (invoices/expense reports/cheque requisitions) for cheques and EFT to Clerk V, Accounts Payable for review, approval and sign-off.
9. Notifies the Clerk V, AP that a stop payment of a lost or stolen cheque is required based on communication with the vendor/employee and a review of the system verifying that an expected payment was not received by vendor/employee.
10. Prepares wire transfers for payments to international vendors.
11. Initiates period accruals by methods such as completing accrual forms and journal correcting entries and forwarding to designated staff for approval and input into the General Ledger.
12. Separates invoices received for processing for team members desk when they are on leave and forwards it to team for entry.
13. Participates in HSSBC inter-departmental group discussions, including but not limited to representatives from Finance and Supply Chain Management (SCM) to review procedural issues, vendor relations and other issues related to disbursements and payment processing.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned by Manager, Accounts Payable
Education, Training and Experience
• Grade 12, successful completion of a recognized accounting course and two years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard 45 w.p.m.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to supervise.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment. Labor Agreement Facilities Subsector Requisition # 093430E-2339141 Work Site 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby Job Type Regular, Full-Time Salary/Rate $22.89 / Hour FTE 1.00 Hours of Work 07:30 - 15:30 Work Days Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri Expiry Date 01-May-2020